Now I don’t mean to sound CORNY but this bowl was straight POPPIN’ today! (Too much?? Sorry – not sorry folks!) But after hearing that today was National Popcorn Day, I just had to come up with something to celebrate. And celebrate I did with this delicious almond joy popcorn mix!
Ok let’s play a game. Name a food item that you absolutely love to eat, but always forget to make. (Saying that out loud now totally sounds like an oxymoron.) But for me that’s popcorn. For some reason whenever I want a snack I never think to make popcorn. Usually I end up going for some kind fruit or nuts because they’re always the first things I can find. But popcorn? Never crosses my mind at all. BUT if I’m at a party or at someone’s house and they bust out the corn, you better believe that I’ll be the first and last person stuffing my face in that big bowl of goods. Soo weird…
Anyways, back to the food! This popcorn mix is one of my family’s favorite sweet & salty snacks to make. It’s got a little salt from the popcorn (not too much though!), sweetness from the chocolate and coconut and plenty of protein from those almonds and protein bar chunks. So basically you’re getting the best of both sweet and salty worlds AND it’s a snack that will actually stay with you until your next meal. (That means NO sugar crash for you!)
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Tips for making this popcorn mix:
- Make sure to line your baking sheet with parchment. If you don’t then your chocolate with harden on the pan and it can be a real b**$% to get off.
- DO NOT over load your popcorn with toppings (like I tend to do). If you do then the chocolate will only stick to the toppings and won’t even reach the popcorn. (Less is more in this case)
- DO NOT mix the popcorn and chocolate together before the chocolate hardens. This causes the mix to turn into dense sticky globs instead of staying light and airy.
- To store, put the mix in an airtight container and keep it in a cool place. This should last for about one week.
Almond Joy Popcorn
- 3/4 bag popcorn* (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 protein bars*, chopped
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Spread popcorn on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle almonds, coconut and chopped protein bars over the top.
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil the the microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted. (Stir in between – mine took about 1 1/2 minutes)
- Drizzle chocolate over the popcorn mixture and allow it to sit for 1 hour or until it hardens.
- When hardened, break it up and eat immediately!