Sound the alarm babes! I’ve finally found a way to make my delicious turkey chili in less than 30 minutes! Yep, you ready that right, 30 minute turkey chili! Believe me, you’ll be wanting to save this one for sure. 😉
Normally I make this in the crock pot and let it cook nice and slow all day long. But that was just NOT in the cards for me this time! Hangry Caitlin needed something ASAP and chili was the only thing that even sounded mildly acceptable. So I took to the stove top and altered the recipe as needed!
I feel like chili gets such a bad rep sometimes but honestly, it’s one of my all time favorite soups! (Especially during those chilly months. 😉 ) But if you think about it, there really isn’t anything “bad” about it at all! Take the ingredients I used for example:
- Ground turkey
- Kidney beans (low sodium)
- Pinto beans (with jalapenos – also low sodium)
- Herbs & spices
Now what’s so “bad” about any of that?! Not a damn thing if you ask me!
But there’s also plenty of other ways you can spruce it up to make you feel like it’s a healthier meal too.
- Add some veggies! Call me crazy, but I LOVE adding green beans to my chili! They just always seem to add that little extra somethin’ that takes it to the next level. You can also try adding celery, carrots, bell pepper, even corn would be amazing with this too!
- Don’t like kidney beans? Or pinto beans? Switch it up and use black beans instead!
- Add sweet potatoes or butternut squash! For all you “sweet tooth” people out there, adding potatoes or squash can really amp up the flavor profile (and sweet factor) like no other! Plus they also make the soup a little heartier since they’re both more of a starchy vegetable.
And of course, we can’t forget about my favorite topic…TOPPINGS! I feel like if anything, this is were those “omg this meal is so bad for you” thoughts can sneak up and get ya.
Try adding these toppings to lighten up the dish:
- Greek yogurt (plain)
- Green onion
- Fresh herbs (like cilantro)
- Low fat cheese
- Corn off the cob (not just a mix-in folks! 😉 )
- Tortilla chip alternative (Some of my favorite brands are Siete Foods, Late July & Beanfield. Heck even some of their flavored chips would be amazing too!)
I hope you give this 30 minute turkey chili a try loves because I know you’ll absolutely love it!
(Side note: I LOVEEE spicy chili so this dish is NOT, I repeat NOT, for the faint of heart! But if you’re not feeling all that spice then it’s pretty simple to tailor it to your taste buds. I would recommend only using cayenne, taking out a few jalapenos from the pinto beans and even adding more water to dilute the spice.)
30 Minute Turkey Chili
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans (low sodium), drained
- 1 can pinto beans with jalapenos, drained
- 1 can stewed tomatoes*, (DO NOT DRAIN)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Water, as needed
- Optional: jalapenos, green onions, cheddar cheese, plain greek yogurt, tortilla chips
- Season turkey with salt and pepper and saute until it's cooked all the way through. Place it in a large pot.
- Add the kidney beans, pinto beans, stewed tomatoes and all spices to the pot. Stir to combine and then add enough water to reach your desired consistency. (You may need to add more water as the soup cooks down the longer it cooks.)
- Cover the pot and cook on medium high heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!