Meatloaf…it gets such a bad rep and is the epitome of disgust to kids everywhere. (Trust me, I used to be one.) I mean if you think about it, a loaf pan full of meat that’s be mixed with other meat and topped off with a boat load of ketchup doesn’t exactly sound like the next winner of the most delicious award to me. That’s why I know y’all will think I’m crazy for what I’m about to say next.
I LOVE MEATLOAF! At least my family’s recipe anyways. To be honest, I never really cared for it when I was younger, which I’m 95.8% sure was because we made it with beef and it was always the driest thing I ever tasted. (Sorry mom)
But then one day we had the brilliant idea to make it with ground turkey instead and suddenly everything changed! No more dryness, no more being hard as a rock and NO MORE KETCHUP! (Not that I ever really used ketchup before, but plenty of other people I knew did.) Instead we ended up with a super moist piece of meat full of extra veggies and goodness that left this particular kid asking, no begging, for more. I’ve even started to convert Charlie into a meatloaf lover if you can believe it. (He’ll probably never admit it but the last time we had meatloaf he ate it WITHOUT any ketchup and never said a thing about it.) Which I’m totally taking as a win in my book!
Foods Caitlin loves: 1
Foods Charlie used to hate: 0 (for now)
Check out our family’s healthy and delicious turkey meatloaf recipe below!
- 1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb pork sausage (can substitute turkey sausage)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 15 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pinch of garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 9×5 loaf tin. (You can use parchment or non-stick spray.)
- Whisk together egg, both salts, garlic powder and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together turkey, sausage, oats, tomatoes, onion and lemon juice. Add the egg mixture and combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for 1 1/2 hours.