2 types of melon, salty prosciutto, creamy mozzarella and fresh basil are all tossed with refreshing honey-lemon vinaigrette! Does it get anymore summer than that?!
Want to know one of my favorite things about summer? All the fun and fresh produce! And while most people associate watermelon, peaches, cherries, etc. with the summer season, I bet you didn’t know about the wide variety of melons that are also in season too! (Good that makes two of us…at least that was until this year! 😉 ) But I came across a few interesting varieties while out shopping the other day and they were just begging to be whipped up into this refreshing summer melon salad with prosciutto and mozzarella!
I can’t say this enough – I LOVE SUMMER! And I always look forward to the summer produce at Sprouts because they carry so many different and unique items to choose from. (For example, I counted over 10 different varieties of melon and many of which I had never even heard of before. CLICK HERE for a full list of the melons they carry.) But for someone like me who’s always looking for ways to spruce up my recipes, this was just perfect! Here’s what I used to make this salad below.
- Galia melon
- Orange honeydew
- Mozzarella balls: Adds creaminess to the salad
- Prosciutto: Adds a little salt for balance
- Basil: Adds freshness to brighten it up
- Lemon-honey vinaigrette: Helps to tie everything together and is so refreshing on it’s own!
What does a galia melon taste like?
Exactly like a cantaloupe! Honestly, when I first tasted it I thought my taste buds were playing a trick on me because I tasted cantaloupe but was eating a green melon… Needless to say, I loved it!
- How to pick a galia melon: Look for melons that are orange in color. The more orange the melon, the sweeter it will be.
What does an orange honeydew taste like?
You might’ve guessed this already but orange honeydew tastes exactly like a normal honeydew would. The cool part though is that it’s orange! I loved adding this juicy melon to the salad because gave it a little extra color and made it even more refreshing!
- How to pick an orange honeydew: Look for melons that more yellow in color with a slight hint of orange and have a “waxy” looking skin.
How to make lemon-honey vinaigrette
This is one of my all time favorite vinaigrettes/dressings to make! It’s so easy and flavorful and pairs well with some many different things!
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp extra light tasting olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Just mix these ingredients together in a jar and pour them over your salad when you’re ready to eat!
Turn this salad into skewers!
Another fun way to enjoy these flavors is by making little appetizer skewers using all the same ingredients too! They’re such a light and refreshing option to serve at any summer gathering and are always a huge hit with our guests!
- Take a large appetizer pick and thread it with a 1/3 slice of prosciutto, 1 basil leaf, a mozzarella ball and your melon. Repeat until all of your ingredients are used.
- Drizzle some of your vinaigrette over the top and serve them with extra vinaigrette on the side for dipping.
More recipes like this:
- Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche (One of my most popular recipes on the blog!)
- Italian Pasta Salad
- BBQ Turkey Meatballs
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Kabobs
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Summer Melon Salad with Prosciutto & Mozzarella
For the salad:
- 1 galia melon, seeded
- 1 orange honeydew, seeded
- 1 8oz container mozzarella balls (I used the ciliegine size)
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 6 slices of prosciutto, torn into bite sized pieces
For the lemon-honey dressing:
- 1 large lemon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
To make the vinaigrette:
- Whisk all ingredients together in a jar or bowl until the honey has completely dissolved. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
To make the salad:
- Using a melon baller, scoop out small balls from the galia melon and honeydew and place them in a large bowl. Add the mozzarella balls and half of your basil leaves. Drizzle with your vinaigrette and toss the salad until it's fully coated.
- Pour the salad onto a serving tray or plate and add your prosciutto pieces. Sprinkle with the rest of your basil and serve immediately.