A simple summer salad made with the freshest ingredients! This summer corn salad is loaded with sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, onion & cilantro all tossed in lime juice and topped with creamy avocado!
Summer salads are my absolute FAVORITE and this summer corn salad with avocado is right at the top! It’s packed full of fresh seasonal ingredients like sweet corn, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado all tossed in lime juice and simply seasoned with salt & pepper. (Trust me loves, when ingredients are this fresh they don’t need a lot done to them!😉) It’s a light and refreshing salad that’s perfect for get-togethers during spring and summer. Potlucks, bbq’s, dinner parties – this corn salad is always the first side dish to go!
Ingredients For Summer Corn Salad
- Sweet corn: Fresh corn-on-the-cob works the best for this recipe! Look for corn cobs with plump kernels and no dull/deflated spots for the best results.
- Tomatoes: Try using grape or cherry tomatoes. They have the best flavor!
- Red onion: Red onion tends to be sweeter and less “oniony” than white or yellow onions. (Using white or yellow onions can overpower your salad.)
- Avocado: Using lots of avocado is the way to go! (Have each individual person spoon some over their salad. They can take as much as they want that way and your salad will still look fresh and bright!)
- Cilantro: Helps to brighten up your salad. You can use as little or as much as you want!
- Lime juice: Don’t be afraid to use A LOT of lime for this salad! We’re using the lime juice as our “dressing” so you’ll need enough juice to coat the entire salad. (I would suggest tasting the salad after it’s been mix and adding more if needed.)
- Spices: Salt & black pepper are all that’s needed to spice up your corn salad!
How To Make Summer Corn Salad with Avocado
- Prepare your corn. Cook your corn cobs using for favorite method then allow them to cool completely. Once cooled, cut the kernels off each cob and add them to a large bowl.
- Cut the rest of your ingredients. While the corn is cooling, slice your tomatoes in half and finely chop your red onion and cilantro.
- Mix & chill. Then add your cut ingredients to the bowl with your corn and toss in your lime juice, salt and black pepper. (Taste the salad and adjust your seasonings if needed.) Then cover the salad and keep it chilled in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Serve! When you’re ready to serve, dice your avocado and either mix it in to your salad or top it over each individual bowl and serve immediately.
How To Boil Corn For Your Summer Corn Salad
This is my favorite method for cooking corn on the cob! It’s quick and easy and yeilds perfectly cooked corn everytime!
- Shuck your corn cobs and remove all the “whispies”.
- Then bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add your corn cobs and boil for 1½ – 2 minutes.
- Remove your cobs from the pot and allow them to cool completely before cutting off the kernels.
OR make this salad a raw corn salad instead! Just cut your kernels off the cob without boiling it first! (It’s perfectly safe to eat & there’s no cooking needed!)
- Keep your salad stored in an airtight container in the frige until you’re ready to eat.
- Remove any diced avocado from the salad before storing. (It will turn brown if left in your salad.)
- Always toss your salad before serving again.
- Can I use canned or frozen corn instead of fresh corn? Yes! I would suggest using canned corn over frozen corn because it will have close to the same texture as fresh corn. (Frozen corn can become mushy after it’s been thawed.)
- Can I freeze my corn salad? No! This corn salad does not hold up well once frozen and thawed.
Why you’ll love this summer corn salad recipe
- Perfect for the warmer temps! Light, refreshing and full of veggies! This corn salad is an easy way to stay cool this summer!
- Fresh seasonal ingredients! Sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado and lots of lime! If that doesn’t just scream SUMMER then I don’t know what does!
- An easy make-ahead side dish! Mix it up the night before or the morning of! The longer this salad sits, the more flavorful it becomes!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More salad recipes you might like:
- Mexican Street Corn Kale Salad
- Summer Peach, Corn & Halloumi Salad
- Black Bean Mango & Avocado Salad
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Creamy Taco Dressing
- Watermelon Summer Berry Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Summer Corn Salad with Avocado
- 4 corn cobs (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ⅓ of a small red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 limes, juiced (or enough to coat the salad)
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- To boil your corn: Shuck your corn cobs and bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add your corn cobs and boil for 1½ – 2 minutes. Then remove the corn from the pot and allow them to cool completely before cutting off the kernels.
- To make your corn salad: Next mix your corn kernels, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and lime juice together in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.)
- Top each individual bowl with your diced avocado and serve immediately.