Wanna get away? Transport yourself back to the tropics with this easy & delicious spicy shrimp salad! It’s only 6 ingredients and bursting with flavor!
Shrimp. Mango. Avocado. And lime… I mean, doesn’t that all just scream summer to you? Then add in a little cilantro and serve it with chips and you’ve basically got my favorite meal! 😉 I’m telling you loves, if you’re looking for an incredibly easy meal that you can make ahead, is cool and refreshing and tastes absolutely AMAZING – then you need to try this spicy shrimp, mango and avocado salad ASAP!
I’m a firm believer that simple ingredients are all you need in order to make a great salad! And this easy dish has just that!
- Spicy shrimp: (See my recipe below for how to make spicy shrimp)
- Mango: Adds that tropical touch and a little bit of sweetness to the salad
- Avocado: Helps to mellow out the spice from the shrimp and adds some creaminess
- Red onion
- Cilantro: Helps to elevate all the other flavors in the dish
- Lime juice: Ties everything together!
What kind of shrimp do I use?
I always use raw frozen shrimp for this recipe because they’re cheap and literally take minutes to cook. You’re also going to be seasoning the shrimp and they tend to hold their flavor much more when they’re cooked in the seasoning as opposed to trying to season precooked shrimp. If you don’t want your shrimp spicy, then just take out the cayenne. (I would only use precooked shrimp if you’re not planning to season the shrimp at all.)
How to make spicy shrimp
Spicy shrimp has been my jam lately! I don’t know what it is about these little guys but they’ve definitely been my favorite meal this summer. And they’re so easy to make too!
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (omit if you don’t want spicy shrimp)
- Pat your shrimp dry with paper towels and place them in a large plastic bag. Combine your spices together and pour them into the bag with your shrimp. Shake the bag until the shrimp are fully coated.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Once it’s hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and add your shrimp. Cook the shrimp on one side for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes on the other.
- Pour your cooked shrimp into a bowl and place them in the fridge to cool completely before adding them to your salad.
How to cut a mango
If you google “how to cut a mango” on the internet, chances are that you’re probably going to get 100 different ways to slice it. Some of them are great and others, not so much. This is the technique I always use and it works perfectly for me every single time!
- Stand the mango up right so you’re looking at the stem. Then cut straight down along one side of the stem. (Mangoes have a flat oval pit in the center, so make sure when you’re looking at the top, it looks more oblong that than wide.) Then cut straight down on the other side of the stem.
- You should now have 3 pieces; the 2 halves that you cut and the center which has the pit in it. Take one of the halves and make lengthwise, then crosswise cuts in the flesh. (Make sure NOT to cut all the way through the skin!) Then invert the mango half so the cut pieces are sticking out like “spikes.”
- Next, take your knife and cut the “spikes” off the skin. Repeat with the other mango half.
How do I eat this spicy shrimp, mango and avocado salad?
Might sound like a weird question, but you would not believe how many times I’ve been asked this lately. The good news is though, that there’s so many different things you could do with this salad! Here are just a few of my favorites below.
- Eat it with chips (It’s great with tortilla chips are even plantain chips too!)
- Serve it over lettuce
- Wrap it up in a tortilla
- Serve it on a crispy tostada shell
- Eat it by the spoonful!
Any way you do it, you just can’t beat this ceviche-ish dish! I hope you all are having the best day loves!
More recipes like this:
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- Jerk Shrimp with Mango Salsa
- Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Fresh Mango Salsa
- Spicy Shrimp and Guacamole Tostadas
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Spicy Shrimp Mango & Avocado Salad
For the spicy shrimp:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don't want your shrimp spicy)
For the salad:
- 2 large mangos, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ¼ of a red onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 4-6 limes, juiced (you'll want to make sure you have enough to generously coat the salad)
To make the spicy shrimp:
- Pat your shrimp dry with paper towels and place them in a large plastic bag. Mix the chili powder, paprika, salt and cayenne together and pour them into the bag with your shrimp. Shake the bag until the shrimp are fully coated.
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Once it's hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and add your shrimp. Cook the shrimp on one side for 2 minutes, then flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes on the other side. Pour your cooked shrimp into a bowl and place them in the fridge to cool completely before adding them to your salad.
To make the salad:
- Add the diced mango, avocado, onion and cilantro to a large bowl. Cut the cooled shrimp into bite sized pieces and add them to your salad. Squeeze your lime juice over the top and toss the salad together until everything is fully coated. Serve with your favorite chips!