Recently I’ve been trying to incorporate more plant based meals into my diet. Mainly because my gut health has been all over the place lately but also because I love challenging myself with finding new foods. Enter this roasted chickpea, avocado and kale salad!
Not only is this salad super delicious, but it also has A TON of amazing health benefits too!
For example, chickpeas are a great source of protein and can help control your appetite. (AKA keeps you fuller, longer.) Kale is full of antioxidants and fiber and is also low in calories. And avocado, well…is there really anything bad to say about avocados?? They’re basically the king of all superfoods! (I could go on and on about avocado’s nutritious facts, but to sum it up, they’re healthy fats and taste AMAZING!!!)
A Few Tips For Making This Salad:
- Massage your kale! Huh?! If you’ve never heard of “massaging kale”, I’ve got you! I was in the same boat too until my veggie loving aunt explained the process to me. Scientifically speaking – massaging the kale helps to break down it’s tough cellular structure to give it a softer texture, making it easier to digest. In Caitlin’s terms – it softens the leaves so it doesn’t take you ages to chew one piece! Plus it’s also a little easier on the tummy. (We’re not cows here with an intense digestive system!)
- Peel the skin of those chickpeas! Again, huh?! Did you know that chickpeas actually have a little film or “skin” covering them and that’s what makes them look so “milky” when they’re drained from the can? I sure didn’t! The skin is totally fine to eat but definitely a pain when it comes to roasting them. I found that if you leave the skin on, you end up just crisping the skin instead of the actual pea itself. To take it off, simply pinch the chickpea between your fingers and the skin will loosen and fall right off. It might sound a little tedious, but trust me, it’s totally worth it in the end.
- Make sure your chickpeas are DRY DRY DRY! Any remaining liquid = soggy chickpeas. And let’s face it, no one wants a soggy pea! The easiest way to do this is to place the chickpeas on a paper towel after discarding the skins and let them sit out for about 20ish minutes or so. After they’re dry, you’ll spray them with avocado oil which will allow them to get nice and toasted in the oven.
And that’s pretty much it babes. This salad is super simple and such a great option for a healthy lunch or even a light dinner. Just goes to show that not all “healthy food” needs to be complicated.
Have the best day loves!
Roasted Chickpeas, Avocado & Kale Salad
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas
- Avocado oil spray (can sub olive oil)
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Avocado oil spray*
Lemon Garlic Dressing:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Fresh cracked pepper
To Roast Chickpeas:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel skin off the chickpeas and discard. (This step is optional but I found that the chickpeas are crispier when it’s done. Just pinch the peas to loosen the skin. Read above for more information.)
- Place your chickpeas in a bowl and spray them with avocado oil. Spread them out in an even layer on your baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Roast them for 30 minutes. (I usually check them at 20 minutes and give them a good shake.)
- When done, toss them with garlic powder. Set aside.
To Make Dressing:
- Mix together the lemon juice, minced garlic and cracked pepper. Set aside.
To Make Salad:
- Place the kale in a bowl and massage it with lemon juice and avocado oil until it begins to soften. Add the avocado.
- Pour dressing over the kale and toss to combine. Top with chickpeas and serve immediately!