Calling all peanut butter lovers – You need these lightened up ice cream sandwiches in your life! They’re creamy, decadent and so easy to make!
Ok so there’s a bit of a story to go with these babies. When Charlie and I were first dating, he couldn’t stop raving about these peanut butter ice cream sandwiches his mom made every summer that were apparently a Godsend… (At the time, I was NOT a huge peanut butter fan so I was like “hmm yeah ok…”😏) BUT then I had a bite at one of their family gatherings and I kid you not, my life was changed! It was creamy and crunchy and so peanut buttery but so sooo good! So I’ve made a few tweaks over the years to her original recipe just to lighten it up a bit and I have to say, they’re pretty darn delicious! (Even she thinks so too!) So here it is loves, the best dessert you’ll ever make this summer: peanut butter rice krispie ice cream sandwiches!
4 ingredients! That’s it, that’s all you need to make this hunk of deliciousness!
- Rice Krispies
- Peanut Butter: Regular or natural works for this recipe. You can also use any other type of nut butter or flavored peanut butter you want too!
- Ice cream: Feel free to use your favorite! (I LOVE using vanilla or chocolate chip! 😉 )
Can I make these dairy free?
Absolutely! Just use your favorite dairy free ice cream! Because Charlie is dairy fee, I’ll usually make half of a 9×13 pan with regular ice cream and half the pan with his dairy free ice cream. Both work just the same!
Can I make these gluten free?
Yes! Simply use gluten free rice krispies instead! They can be a little hard to find in stores but most places will keep them in their gluten free section. Then prepare the sandwiches according to the directions below.
Tips for making these ice cream sandwiches:
- Freeze the first layer of peanut butter rice krispies for around 20 minutes before adding your ice cream layer.
- Let your ice thaw at room temperature for a few minutes before making the second layer. This makes the ice cream easier to spread.
- Wait until the ice cream layer is completely frozen before adding your final rice krispy layer. The rice krispies can “sink” into your ice cream layer if it’s still too soft.
I hope you love these easy rice krispie ice cream sandwiches just as much as we do!
More recipes like this:
- Chocolate Dipped Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
- Smore’s Skillet Dip
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- Banana Bread Brownies
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Ice Cream Sandwiches
(Double the rice krispie layer for a 9×13 pan)
- 3 cups Rice Krispies (use gluten free if needed)
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp peanut butter (regular or flavored)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 container vanilla ice cream (or your favorite ice cream flavor)
- Mix the rice krispies, peanut butter and honey together in a large bowl. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Place the pan in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- Then take the pan out and spread your ice cream over the rice krispies to form your second layer. Place the pan back in the freezer for 1 hour or until the ice cream has hardened.
- Once the ice cream is hard, mix together another batch of your rice krispies and press it on top of your ice cream to form the top layer. Place the pan back in the freezer until you're ready to eat.
- Cut and serve immediately!