Shredded chicken, sweet corn and spicy green chiles are all baked together in this deliciously cheesy appetizer! Serve it with some tortilla chips for the perfect game day dish!
Who doesn’t love a good dip when it comes to game day?! (Because ya know I do babes!) Especially when it comes to the Super Bowl, you just have to have some sort of hot, cheesy, deliciously gooey appetizer. So why not have have one that’s also a tad good for you too?! Well that’s exactly what I’m sharing with you all today loves with my lightened up green chile chicken dip!
What makes this dip healthier?
When it comes to Super bowl parties, there’s no question that everyone loves their dips. But most of them tend to be loaded with so much sodium and fat! Not this babes! By just making a few simple substitutions were’ able to to lighten this dish up without sacrificing any of it’s flavor! Here are some of the “healthier” ingredients I used for this dip:
- Reduced fat cream cheese – has less fat and sodium than regular cream cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt – adds a little extra protein to the dish
- Low Sodium Canned Enchilada Sauce – always make sure to check the sodium amount per serving on the label!
- Corn – adds extra veggies and nutrients (along with a little sweetness! 😉 )
- Chicken breast – is leaner than chicken thighs and adds protein too!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix all of your dip ingredients in a large bowl and pour it into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle some extra pepper jack cheese on top.
- Bake the dip for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the dip is hot all the way through.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onion and avocado and serve immediately.
Note: When serving it this way, the dip can become cool pretty quickly so you make want to set it on a hot plate to keep it warm.
Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Method
- Mix all of your ingredients in a large bowl and pour it into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the dip is hot all the way through.
- Once done, take the lid off and turn the crock pot to “Warm”.
- Serve immediately.
This method is great when serving a large group at a potluck or party because it’s able to keep the dip warmer for longer. Plus no messy clean up!
What do I serve with Green Chile Chicken Dip?
My favorite way to serve this dip is with tortilla chips but you can also put out other options too! Here are a few other ideas you can try:
- Veggie chips
- Sliced zucchini or zucchini sticks
- Sliced bell pepper
What can I do with my leftover dip?
Another great thing about this dip is that it’s great for leftovers too! But you don’t just have to eat it with chips if youo don’t want to. Some of my favorite ways to repurpose it are below.
- Make a quesadilla by sandwiching it between two tortillas and heating it on the stove until it’s crispy.
- Wrap it up in a tortilla like a taco and top it with all of your favorite taco toppings
- Turn it into nachos by spooning it over some chips, sprinkling on some cheese and baking it
- Make it a salad by spooning it over a bed of lettuce or spinach
- And if you’re really feeling ambitious, turn it into rolled taquitos! (Click here to see my easy rolled taquito recipe!)
More Appetizer Recipes:
- Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche (One of my most popular recipes on the blog!)
- Baked Cajun Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Meatballs
- Easy Mexican Corn Dip
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Green Chile Chicken Dip
- 8 oz. light cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)*
- ½ cup green enchilada sauce
- 8 oz. diced green chiles (I used HOT)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese (plus more for the top)
- Optional toppings: jalapenos, avocado, chopped green onion, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 10 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, greek yogurt, chicken, corn, enchilada sauce, green chiles, chili powder, salt and ½ cup of cheese together.
- Pour the mixture into your baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with chips and optional garnishes.
Slow Cooker Method:
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Follow instruction #2 for the "oven method".
- Pour the mixture into your slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- To serve, set the slow cooker to "warm" and serve with optional garnishes on the side.