A healthy spin on traditional key lime pie! These protein balls are incredibly flavorful, zesty and loaded with tons nutrients!
Snacks on snacks on snacks! That’s pretty much what I think of whenever I hear that it’s back to school season. (I was a HUGE snacker back in the day, but now not so much.) Except when it comes to protein balls! I love experimenting with flavors for these because it really seems like the possibilities are endless. AND every now and then you come up with a winning flavor that you just can’t stop thinking about. That would be these key lime pie protein balls!
Why do I love making protein balls?
Like I previously said, I’m not a huge snacker. But Charlie (my fiance) is so these are always great to whip up for him during the week. Plus most recipes only call for 5-6 ingredients , all of which I usually have on hand. (And did I mention, all CHEAP ingredients too?!) Easy + cheap + tastes freakin’ delicious = a win in my book!
Do I have to soak the dates?
Most recipes don’t call for it, but I personally prefer it. I think it makes everything a little easier to blend and also adds a little extra moisture to the balls. That being said, you can definitely skip this step too!
Can I use different nuts?
Absolutely! I used almonds and cashews because they’re a little more plain tasting than other nuts, but feel free to use your favorite instead. I imagine pecans or walnuts would be fantastic with this too!
How do I store protein balls?
So easy! Just place them in a ziplock bag and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to eat! They should last for about 1 week. I would NOT suggest freezing the though!The texture is a little off after they thaw.
Other tidbits about these balls
- They’re Paleo, Whole30, Keto, low carb, vegan and vegetarian! (Basically anyone can have them! 😉 )
- They’re made without using gobs of peanut butter
- They’re made without oats
- They make for a great snack, grab and go breakfast or even a healthy dessert!
I know you’re going to love these key lime pie protein balls just as much as I do! I can’t wait for you to try them!
Want even more protein ball recipes? Check out the links below!
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Energy Balls
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Bites
- Carrot Cake Protein Bites
- Banana Bread Protein Bites
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Key Lime Pie Protein Balls
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup coconut
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp lime zest (from about 2 limes)
- 9 dates, soaked & pitted*
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Place the almonds, cashews and coconut in a food processor and pulse until they're finely ground.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse again until smooth.
- Take 1 Tbsp of mixture and roll it into a ball. Place on a tray that's been lined with parchment. Repeat with the remaining mixture until all balls are formed.
- Sprinkle extra lime zest over the tops of each ball before storing.
- If rolling in coconut: Pour coconut shreds in a bowl. Take one ball and roll it in the coconut until all the times are covered. Set aside. Repeat with remaining balls.