A mayo-free chicken salad loaded with avocados, green onion, juicy tomatoes, lime juice & Mexican herbs & spices! It has all the flavor of traditional gucamole turned into a delicious & healthy chicken salad!
I can never turn down guacamole. (It’s one of my weaknesses when it comes to Mexican food.😉) We order it at every Mexican restaurant, always have it for game nights…heck I’ll even eat it with my eggs in the morning if there’s any leftovers.🥴 (Don’t knock it until you try it!) Basically I’ll take guacamole any way I can get it and this guacamole chicken salad – ohhhh so good! It’s hard for me to call this salad an actual “recipe” because it’s so easy to make. It’s loaded with creamy avocado, cilantro, lime juice, all the Mexican herbs & spices – everything you need to make the BEST guacamole recipe! Serve it with tortilla chips or wrap it in a tortilla for a fun and delicious meal!
Plus it’s mayo-free too!
Ingredients For Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Shredded chicken: You can use store bought shredded chicken or make it yourself. (I personally love making my own shredded chicken with chicken tenders. They’re fast, easy and much more flavorful too!)
- Avocados: The larger the avocados, the better! Try to find avocados that “give in” slightly when you give them a gentle squeeze. (That’s when you know they’re ripe!)
- Green onion: We’ll be using the entire onion (green & white parts) for this chicken salad recipe.
- Jalapeno: Make sure to discard all the seeds if you don’t want a spicier chicken salad. (We’re huge spice lovers in this house so I’ll usually leave in a few seeds for a little kick.😉)
- Tomatoes: Use cherry tomatoes or tomatoes on the vine for the best results. (They have much better flavor to them.) Not a tomato lover? No worries, this salad is still delicious without them!
- Cilantro: A essential ingredient for any guacamole recipe!
- Lime juice: 1-2 limes is all you’ll need!
- Seasonings: Garlic salt & pepper help take your chicken salad to the next level!
How To Make Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Prepare your chicken. (If making your own shredded chicken.) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then season your chicken tenders with salt & pepper and place them in the dish. Bake for 15 minutes then let them cool completely. Use a fork and knife to shred your chicken or cut them into bite-size pieces.
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients. While the chicken is cooling, slice your green onion, cut and deseed the jalapeno, chop your tomatoes and cilantro and mash your avocado.
- Mix and serve. Add your chicken and prepared ingredients to a large bowl then pour your lime juice over the top. Stir the salad and season it with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or let your salad chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
Note: If letting your salad chill, I’d suggest putting a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the salad. This helps to prevent the avocado from turning brown.
Ideas For Serving Guacamole Chicken Salad
- Make it a chicken salad sandwich/wrap! Sandwich your chicken salad between 2 pieces of bread or wrap it up in a flour tortilla! It’s a great option for lunch or a light dinner!
- Serve it with chips! Just like traditional guacamole, this chicken salad is delicious served with tortilla chips! (This is my favorite way to eat it!😉)
- Spoon it over greens! Make it a chicken salad…salad! (I’ll usually add an extra squeeze of lime juice to act as the “dressing” before tossing it all together.)
- Eat it by the spoonful! Keep it simple and eat it straight from the bowl!
- How do I store my chicken salad with avocado? Place your chicken salad in an air tight container and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the salad. (This help to prevent the avocado from turning brown.) Then cover it with a lid and keep it stored in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- How long does avocado chicken salad stay good in the refrigerator? It should stay good for 1-2 days if stored properly.
- Can I prep any of my ingredients before hand? Yes! All of your veggies and chicken can be cut/shredded at least 1-2 days before. I would wait until you’re ready to eat to mash your avocado and mix it all together.
- Can I freeze my chicken salad? I would not suggest it. The texture and quality of your salad just isn’t the same after it thaws.
Why you’ll love this guacamole chicken salad recipe
- A no mayo chicken salad! Most chicken salads are made with loads of mayonnaise…but not this one! Instead we’re using mashed avocado as a tasty substitute!
- Full of healthy fats & lean protein! Chicken, veggies & A TON of avocado! What’s not to love right?!
- Doubles as a dip! Serve it with tortilla chips & it instantly becomes a fun party “dip”.
- Easy to make! Shred, chop, mash and mix it all together! It doesn’t get any easier than that!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More chicken recipes you might like:
- Loaded BBQ Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Sun-Dried Tomato & Artichoke Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Baked Balsamic Chicken with Caprese Salsa
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings
- Summer Chicken Fruit Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Guacamole Chicken Salad
- 1 lb. chicken tenders, (or about 2½ cups shredded chicken)
- 2 large avocados, mashed
- 2 stalks of green onion, sliced thin (use the green & white parts)
- ½ – 1 jalapeno, deseeded & minced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice (depending on how tangy you want it)
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Serving options: Tortilla chips, flour tortillas, lettuce, etc.
- If making your own shredded chicken: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Then season your chicken tenders with salt and pepper and place them in the dish. Bake for 15 minutes then let them cool completely. Use a fork and knife to shred the chicken or cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Next add your shredded chicken, mashed avocado, green onion, jalapeno, tomatoes and cilantro to a large bowl and pour your lime juice over the top. Give it a good stir then season it with garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before serving. (If letting it chill, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of your salad. This helps prevent the avocado from turning brown.)