A light and refreshing salad made with kale, red grapes, feta cheese and sliced almonds. It’s then tossed with a tangy lemon mustard vinaigrette that’s completely oil free!
Anyone else been on a crazy salad kick lately?! I think I’ve eaten one at least once a day (if not twice) and honestly I don’t see it letting up any time soon. 😉 But they’re always so refreshing over summer AND make the perfect on the go meal too! Just like this grape and feta kale salad that I’m sharing with you all today!
Why should you massage kale?
If your brand new to the kale world, this is probably a silly concept to you. But trust me, it makes all the difference in the world! In fact, I recently learned that most of my family used to hate kale mainly because they didn’t know how to prepare it right, ie. massage it. Now they love it! Massaging kale is so important because it helps to breakdown the kale’s tough exterior and gives it a much softer and more pliable texture. This also gives the kale a more mild flavor and makes it easier to digest. (Which we all know is very very important! 😉 )
How to massage kale
- Cut the kale leaves off the stem or “rib”. Then cut the leaves into bite sized pieces.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil and the juice from 1/2 a lemon over the kale. (Sometimes I’ll use avocado oil spray instead of olive oil. Just use a few squirts.)
- Rub the kale together with your hands to fully incorporate the oil and lemon juice throughout. Do this for 5 minutes. (The kale should begin to soften and turn a bright vibrant green. You’ll also notice that the amount of kale you have might “shrink” as well.)
- At this point, the kale can be stored in the fridge until your ready to use it. It should last for up to 1 week.
Lemon Mustard Vinaigrette
This vinaigrette recipe is definitely one (of my many) go-to salad dressings. And while I personally think it tastes AMAZING on any salad, it does seem to give this particular one a little somethin’ somethin’ that it was missing! Plus it has NO OIL and only requires 4 INGREDIENTS!
- 2 Tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Cracked pepper, to taste (I usually do about 2 cracks.)
Just place these ingredients in a small jar, shake it up and pour over your salad! It’s that easy!
Now I totally get that not everyone likes red grapes, or feta, or almonds even, but you’re in luck my friends! Below I’ve listed a few tasty substitutions so its easy for you to make this salad fit your own taste buds.
- Red Grapes: green grapes, chopped apples or blueberries
- Feta Cheese: goat cheese or cotija cheese
- Sliced Almonds: walnuts, pecans or pepitas
If you make any of these substitutions or even add a few of your own, please LET ME KNOW! I love hearing new ideas! 🙂
I hope you’re all having a fantastic day and do something that brings you joy today!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Grape and Feta Kale Salad
For the salad:
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 cup grapes, sliced
- ¼-½ cup feta cheese* (I used fat free)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds**
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (see substitution below)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice (about large lemon)
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- Cracked pepper, to taste
To make the vinaigrette:
- Add all the ingredients to a jar. Shake it and set aside.
To make the salad:
- Place the kale in a bowl and drizzle it with the olive oil and lemon juice. Rub the kale together with your hands to fully incorporate the oil and lemon juice throughout. Do this for 5 minutes.
- Add the grapes and feta cheese and pour the vinaigrette over the top.
- Toss the salad and sprinkle it with sliced almonds just before serving.