The best parts of guacamole & egg salad combined into one! This easy guacamole egg salad is perfect for a quick lunch and is so tasty too! (Plus NO MAYO!)
Guacamole Egg Salad – A fusion of my two favorite summer dishes! This salad was originally inspired by my guacamole chicken salad recipe and I have to say…I think I like it a little bit better!😲 Chopped hard boiled eggs are mixed with creamy avocado, tomatoes, onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice then seasoned with garlic salt and pepper to taste! It’s light and zesty, healthy and a completely mayo free egg salad! I’ve been eating this at least once a week lately and it’s just TOO GOOD!
(Fun fact: I just learned this is technically called Salvadorian guacamole where in some parts it’s traditional to put hard boiled eggs in your guac! How cool is that?!)
Ingredients For Guacamole Egg Salad
- Eggs: We’ll usually hard boil our eggs a few days before making this salad to cut down on prep time.
- Avocado: You’ll need at least 1 large avocado for this recipe (or 2 smaller avocados depending on their size). Make sure to use ripe avocados to make mashing them easier!
- Tomatoes: Any type of tomatoes will work! (I personally love using cherry or grape tomatoes.) You won’t need a lot, just enough to add some color and texture.
- Onion: Red onion works the best for this egg salad recipe. (They’re slightly sweet and won’t give your salad an overpowering “onion” taste.)
- Cilantro: Always use the leaves and stems! (The stems are where all the flavor is at!)
- Lime juice: You’ll need at least ½ – 1 lime depending on how “tangy” you want it. (I’d suggest starting with a ½ lime and adding more as you go if needed.) I usually add 1 full lime to mine (about 1 tablespoon of juice).
- Garlic salt: A necessity for any “guacamole” type recipe! (Not all garlic salt is made the same! This is the one we use.)
- Cracked pepper: Just a few cracks to taste is all you need!
How To Make Guacamole Egg Salad
- Hard boil your eggs. Hard boil your eggs using your preferred method then let them cool completely. Once cooled, peel the shells and chop your eggs into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients. Then finely cut your tomatoes, onion and cilantro and mash your avocado and add them to the bowl with your eggs.
- Mix your ingredients. Squeeze your lime juice over the top and season your egg salad with garlic salt and cracked pepper to taste. Then taste the salad and adjust your seasonings and lime juice accordingly. (I’m pretty liberal with the garlic salt for mine. I think it brings out the flavors more.)
- Serve! Serve immediately with crackers or cover your salad and let it chill in the fridge for at least 10-20 minutes.
My Go-To Method for Hard Boiled Eggs
We eat a lot of hard boiled eggs in our house and this has always been my go-to way to make them.
- Place your eggs in a large pot and fill it with enough water to cover them.
- Then cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Boil your eggs for 3 minutes.
- Once done, pull the pot off the stove and let the eggs sit in the water for 10 minutes.
- Then transfer your eggs to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Once they’ve cooled, store your eggs in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them . Viola – the perfect hard boiled eggs!
We love eating this egg salad with tortilla chips (kinda like a protein-packed guacamole!😉) But there’s so many delicious ways you can serve it too! Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Serve it with crackers!
- Turn it into lettuce wraps!
- Make it a sandwich!
- Spread it over toast!
- Spoon it over a bed of greens!
- Feeling adventurous? Try it with crispy tostada shells!
How To Store Guacamole Egg Salad
Because this egg salad is avocado based, it’s best to eat it the day of. If you do have any leftovers you can always add a little more lime juice before storing it in an air tight container in the refrigerator. (Sometimes we’ll press plastic wrap directly on top of the salad once it’s in the container to help minimize browning.) Your egg salad should stay good for the next day if stored properly.
Why you’ll love this guacamole egg salad recipe!
- A no-mayo egg salad! We’re replacing mayo with creamy avocado & loading it up with lots of herbs and spices! It’s a healthy egg salad with a little Mexican twist!
- So easy to make! Just chop, mix and serve! It doesn’t get any easier than that!
- Nutrient packed meal! Protein, healthy fats, veggies – this avocado egg salad’s got it all! Serve it with your favorite multigrain bread or crackers & fruit on the side for an easy well-rounded meal!
- Make it how you want it! Not a fan of cilantro? Add less! Love tomatoes? Add another tablespoon! This salad is so easy to tailor to your personal taste & preference!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More recipes you might like:
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Guacamole Egg Salad
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
- 1 large avocado, mashed (or 2 small avocados)
- 2-3 Tbsp tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped (leaves and stems are ok)
- ½ – 1 lime, juiced (about ½-1 tablespoon)
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Serving options: tortilla chips, crackers, lettuce wraps, bread, etc.
- Chop your eggs into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl.
- Then add your tomatoes, onion, cilantro and mashed avocado and give it a good mix.
- Next squeeze your lime juice over the top and season with garlic salt and black pepper to taste. (Taste the salad and adjust your seasonings and lime juice accordingly.)
- Serve immediately with crackers/tortilla chips or cover your salad and let it chill in the fridge for at least 10-20 minutes.