A hearty chicken soup that’s loaded with spice and Mexican flare! This chicken enchilada soup is made in the crockpot and perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
You know those recipes that’ve been in your family for what seems like forever? (Those are always the best right?!😉) Well this is one of those recipes. This super easy crockpot recipe is our version of chicken tortilla soup. Chicken enchilada soup has been on our family’s table more times than I count and it never dissppoints! We have it every Christmas Eve, sometimes New Year’s Eve and almost every other week it feels like during winter. IT’S THAT GOOD! Full of chicken, black beans, corn, lots of chiles and spices and it couldn’t be any easier to put together too!
Ingredients for Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Shredded chicken: You can use store bought shredded chicken or make it yourself.
- Chicken broth: Bone broth or vegetable broth can be used as a replacement.
- Enchilada sauce: Use your favorite red enchilada sauce for this recipe. If you want some spice to your soup, use hot enchilada sauce. If you want it more mild, use medium.
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Black beans: Canned black beans make this recipe so incredibly easy. (Just make sure to throughly rinse them before adding them to your soup.)
- Corn: I prefer using fresh corn if possible. (It gives a nice pop of flavor to your soup.) But if you can’t find fresh, frozen corn works well too. If using frozen corn, make sure to thaw and drain as much liquid as possible before adding it to your soup. (The extra liquid will water it down.)
- Canned green chiles: This is where your other spice comes in! If you like a spicer soup, use hot green chiles. If you like it more mild, use medium.
- Cilantro: Always cut a little extra for garinsh!
- Spices: Chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper are all that go in to this tasty soup recipe!
How to Make This Chicken Soup in the Crockpot
Crockpot and slow cooker soups have always been my favorite! I just love that I’m able to put a handful of ingredients in a pot, let it cook and a few hours later I have a warm comforting meal that barely took any effort to make! Isn’t that just the best?!
- Place all your ingredients (except the cilantro) in your crockpot.
- Turn your pot on to low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once it’s done, stir in your cilantro and serve.
Psst…this enchilada soup is so good with tortilla strips and lots of avocado!😊
We all know toppings are my favorite part when it comes to soup! Especially chicken enchilada soup! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Tortilla strips (store bought)
- Homemade tortilla strips:
- Avocado – lots!
- Green onion
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Pickled jalapenos
- How do I make shredded chicken for soup? Season two chicken breasts with salt and pepper and bake it at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Once it’s done, shred the chicken with a fork and knife. (You can do this a few days before making your soup too!)
- Can I put raw chicken in my soup? I would not suggest doing that for this recipe.
- How do I store my leftover chicken soup? Pour your soup into an airtight container and keep it stored in the fridge. It should stay good for 3-5 days.
- Can I freeze my chicken enchilada soup? Yes! This chicken soup is a great freezer meal! To freeze your soup, let it cool completely then pour it into a large ziploc bag. Double bag it (so it won’t get freezer burn) and place it in the freezer.
Why you’ll love this chicken soup recipe
- Hassle-free cooking! Your crockpot literally does all the work! All you have to do is open a few cans.
- So filling! Chicken, black beans, corn, lots of chiles! This soup is full of so many goodies!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More soup recipes you might like:
- Italian Suasage, Butternut Squash & Kale Soup
- Crockpot Chicken, Avocado & Lime Soup
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Soup
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 lb. chicken, cooked & shredded
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 10oz can red enchilada sauce (hot or medium depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1½ cups corn (fresh or frozen)*
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles, drained
- ½ a white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Place all your ingredients (except the cilantro) in your crockpot give it a good stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Once it's done, stir in your cilantro and serve with your favorite toppings.
- Season your chicken breasts with salt & pepper & bake at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Then shred your chicken with a fork and knife and add it to your soup.