Everything you love about cheeseburgers just put into a bowl! This delicious salad is a great way to satisfy those fast food cravings while still keeping it low carb!
Every time I mention this salad to someone, their first reaction is always, “YUCK!” But after they take one bite their frowns turn upside down and they start calling me a freakin’ genius. So because I want to feel like a genius today, I’ve decided to share with you all my deliciously easy cheeseburger salad!
Just like the name suggests, we’re putting everything that you would find on burger, in bowl with lots of toppings and even whip up some homemade croutons!
What kind of meat do I use?
I usually prefer ground beef with the ratio 85/15 for this recipe but I completely understand if that’s not your thing. You can also use other fat ratios like 80/20 or 90/10 too. Or maybe ground beef isn’t your thing? Feel free to use ground turkey or chicken to turn it into a turkey/chicken burger bowl! I haven’t tried it with any vegetarian patties yet, but I’d imagine that it would still taste just as good. (If using veggies patties, I’d probably cook and break up the patty instead of using anything ground.)
Can I switch up the toppings?
Absolutely! There’s so many toppings you can put on a burger so I really feel like this is where you can go WILD! Below are some suggestions for other toppings you can use instead. (My favorites have a * by it. 😉 )
- Bacon bits*
- Crispy onion strings
- Pepper jack cheese*
- Shredded mozzarella
- Swiss cheese, cut into cubes
- Blue cheese crumbles
What dressing do I use?
I prefer using thousand island dressing to really make it taste like I’m getting a cheeseburger from a fast food joint. (Just a healthier low carb version that’s still just as fast. 🙂 ) I love using Bob’s Thousand Island dressing, mainly because that’s what I grew up on, but your favorite thousand island dressing should be just fine. If you’re Paleo of Whole30, just make sure to find one that’s compliant.
If thousand island dressing isn’t your thing then you can also use good ol’ ketchup and mustard too! You can either squeeze a little bit of each over the top and mix everything together. Or have both of them on the side and dip your salad as you go. Either way, they’re both fantastic!
Easy Peasy Homemade Croutons
DO NOT let the word homemade scare you! They only take about 10 minutes, 3-4 ingredients and taste just as good as anything you’d get from the store. It’s that simple!
- Any type of bread, hamburger or hot dog buns
- Oil Spray (I use avocado oil)
- Other spices: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, oregano
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place them in a bowl. Spray these pieces with your oil spray until they’re completely coated.
- Sprinkle them with salt and any other spices to your liking. Mix everything together and pour them onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the croutons are slightly brown. When done, let them sit for a few minutes to harden as they cool.
Now how easy is that?! 🙂
I hope you enjoy this recipe just as much as I do loves! (And my friends, and family, and fiance…and pretty much anyone that’s ever had a single bite of this salad…) But it’s just that GOOD! Don’t take my word for it though. Try it and let me know!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Cheeseburger Salad
For the salad:
- 4 cups mixed lettuce, chopped
- 1 lb ground hamburger (I use 85/15)*
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese, grated (I use extra sharp)**
- Handful of dill pickles, quartered
- Thousand Island dressing***
- Optional toppings: croutons, bacon bits, etc.
For the croutons:
- 4-6 slices of your favorite bread, hamburger or hot dog buns
- Oil spray (I use avocado oil)
- Optional spices: Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley, thyme or oregano
To make the salad:
- Heavily season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Saute it until it's cooked all the way through. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, pickles, cheese and ground beef after it's cooled. Mix everything together. Drizzle with dressing right before you serve and top with any additional toppings
To make the croutons:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and place them in a bowl. Spray the pieces with your oil spray until they're completely coated.
- Sprinkle these pieces with salt and any other spices to your liking. Mix everything together and pour onto your prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until the croutons are slightly brown. When done, let them sit for a few minutes to harden as they cool.