Everything you love about buffalo wings just turned into a healthier plant based snack! It’s spicy, garlicky and makes for the perfect game day appetizer!
Buffalo sauce and edamame… Two things that don’t sound AT ALL like they should go together, yet are actually pretty darn delicious! And I couldn’t think of a better time to share this recipe with you all than right before football Sunday. So here we go, easy buffalo edamame – get ready to have your minds blown!
What makes buffalo edamame a healthy snack/appetizer?
Well first off, edamame is just a type soy bean that’s been lightly boiled or steamed to “cook” the beans inside, making them much easier for us to eat. This also means that they’re naturally gluten free, dairy free and a great source of protein for anyone following a plant based diet. But they also have several other health benefits too!
- They’re low in calories.
- They contain NO cholesterol.
- And they’re a good source of iron and calcium too!
Where do I find edamame?
I usually buy mine in the frozen section of my local grocery store. (If you live near a Trader Joe’s, they have a pretty decent sized package for only $1.99!) But just make sure to look for edamame that’s still IN it’s shell. We DO NOT want already de-shelled edamame for this recipe.
Do you eat the shell of edamame?
That’s a big fat no loves! The outer shell of edamame is very rigid and tough and has a bitter taste when eaten.
So how do you eat edamame that’s in the shell then?
Just take the edamame pod, place it in your mouth, run your teeth over the skin to squeeze out the seeds and discard the skin. It’s as easy as that!
Do I have to put butter in my buffalo sauce?
I’ve heard mixed reviews on this question, but I almost always do. The reason you add butter to your buffalo sauce is to cut down on the spice and make the sauce more smooth. That being said, you don’t need to use a ton of butter AT ALL! Here’s the ratio I always use and simply double or triple it as I need it:
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (Franks Red Hot) + 1 1/2 tsps butter
- To double: 1/2 cup hot sauce + 1 Tbsp butter
Note: If you’re Paleo or Whole30 just replace the butter with ghee. (Ghee is clarified butter that contains no lactose!)
All I’m saying is that Charlie is a bit of a “buffalo wing aficionado” and he couldn’t get enough of these! 😉 So what are YOU waiting for?!
I hope you’re all having a fantastic day loves!
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Want even more EDAMAME RECIPES? Check out some of my favorites HERE!
Easy Buffalo Edamame
- 2 cups frozen edamame
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1½ tsps butter (or ghee), melted
- Optional: ranch dressing for serving
- Thaw the edamame according to it's package. Set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Once it's hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and add the minced garlic. Saute the garlic for 30 seconds and then add the edamame.
- Cook garlic and edamame together for 4-5 minutes or until the pea pods become slightly charred. (Make sure to stir every now and then to avoid burning.)
- Mix the butter (or ghee) and hot sauce together in a bowl. Pour the sauce over the edamame, stir and serve immediately!