A California spin on traditional Greek salad! This side dish is loaded with fresh veggies, salty feta & creamy avocado then tossed in a simple lemony vinaigrette!
Call me crazy, but sometimes I just crave a big bowl of veggies. (Anyone else or is that only me?!) Especially with the warmer months coming up. And whenever that happens I always put this avocado & feta Greek salad at the top of my “to-make” list. This tasty salad showcases all of summer’s best produce from crisp cucumbers to juicy tomatoes to the California favorite – avocados! I just love the creamy addition the avocado adds and it completely takes your salad to the next level! Plus – no greens! Which makes it perfect for the non-lettuce salad lover!
Ingredients For Your Greek Salad
- Cucumbers: English or “hothouse” cucumbers work the best for this recipe. (They’re longer & narrower than regular cucumbers and don’t have a waxy skin.)
- Tomatoes: I’d recommend using any type of vine-ripe or cherry tomatoes for this recipe. (They have much better flavor than romas or larger beefsteak tomatoes.) You can slice or dice them, whichever you prefer.
- Kalamata olives: A necessity when it comes to Greek salads! (Kalamata olives are larger and have a more subtle flavor than black olives which makes them perfect for this salad recipe!)
- Red onion: Red onions are sweeter and more mild in flavor than white & yellow onions making them much more ideal for salads.
- Feta cheese: If possible, try to use block feta cheese and cut it into cubes yourself. (Store bought feta crumbles tend to have additives that make the cheese taste dry and alters it’s flavor.)
- Avocado: The best part of the salad! Look for avocados that are slightly firm and just starting to ripen. If your avocado is too ripe it can become mushy once you mix your salad. A slightly under ripe avocado will still remain intact.
- Salt & black pepper: Every Greek salad needs a touch of salt & pepper to bring out those flavors!
- Greek vinaigrette: An easy homemade salad dressing made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice & dried oregano.
How To Make A Greek Salad with Avocado
- Prepare your ingredients. Slice your cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and red onion, dice your avocado and cut your feta cheese into cubes.
- Make your dressing. Add your dressing ingredients to a jar or salad dressing bottle and shake until fully combined. (You can also whisk your dressing together if you prefer too.)
- Toss & serve! Mix your salad ingredients together in a large bowl, then season with salt & pepper to taste. Drizzle your desired amount of dressing over the top and toss until the salad is fully coated. Serve immediately or let it chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Can I keep my leftover Greek salad? Yes. I would suggest picking out the avocado or keeping it separate before storing it though. (The avocado can turn brown and look very unappealing.) To store: Place your salad in an airtight container & keep it in the fridge.
- How long does Greek salad last in the fridge? Because there’s no leafy greens in this salad, it can last for 2-3 days if stored properly.
- Can you freeze Greek salad? No. Freezing your salad will compromise the integrity of your ingredients and turn them to mush once they’ve thawed.
- Can I prep this Greek salad ahead of time? Absolutely! For the best results, keep your salad ingredients in separate containers until your ready to make the salad. Then toss it all together with your dressing and serve!
Why you’ll love this Greek salad recipe
- A no lettuce salad! Loaded with veggies without a single green leaf in sight! This side dish is a great way to get your veggies in without having to make a traditional salad!
- Incredibly refreshing! Crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado & a tangy dressing to tie it all together!
- The perfect side dish! With it’s light & simplistic flavors, this salad pairs well with almost any entrée! Chicken, steak, seafood…the possibilities are endless!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Use your favorite dairy free feta cheese instead!
More salad recipes you might like:
- Watermelon Summer Berry Salad
- Cilantro Lime Shrimp Salad
- Avocado Tomato & Mozzarella Salad
- Pizza Pasta Salad
- Black Bean, Mango & Avocado Salad
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Easy Avocado & Feta Greek Salad
For the Greek salad:
- 1 english cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup kalamata olives, halved
- ¼ of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces feta cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 large avocado, diced (or 2 small avocados)
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
For the Greek vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
To make the Greek vinaigrette:
- Whisk your vinaigrette ingredients together. Then keep it stored in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your salad.
To make the Greek salad:
- Mix your cucumber, tomatoes, olives, red onion, avocado and feta cheese together in a large bowl. Then season it with salt & pepper to taste.
- Next drizzle your desired amount of dressing over the top and toss until the salad is fully coated. Serve immediately or let chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before serving.