An easy crockpot soup that’s full of Mexican flare! Tender shredded chicken, creamy avocado, tangy lime juice, jalapeno – this soup has it all! It’s a warm and comforting meal that’s perfect for fall & winter!
I’m 1000% serious when I say this is the best crockpot soup recipe you will ever find! Our family’s been making this chicken avocado and lime soup for years now and it hits the spot every single time! Super simple ingredients, so easy to throw together and it’s loaded with zesty Mexican flavor and all the avocado you could want! Trust me, after one bit of this baby – you’ll be dancing to your own fiesta!
Ingredients for your crockpot chicken soup
- Chicken breast: Use boneless & skinless chicken breasts. (Make sure to rinse your chicken before placing it in the crockpot! Otherwise the “film” that surrounds your chicken will cook too and & it won’t look very pretty.)
- Chicken stock: I prefer using stock because it’s thicker than broth and makes your soup more filling too. (Chicken broth or bone broth can be used as a replacement if you prefer.) Always use no salt added chicken stock too!
- Avocado: We always look for the biggest ones possible! (Loading up this soup with avocado is a MUST!)
- Lime juice: Only use fresh lime juice for this recipe! (Bottled juice tends to be sweeter and can alter the flavors of your soup.)
- Green onion: Don’t let the amount we put in scare you! It all gets cooked in the soup and adds so much flavor!
- Cilantro: Make sure to cut a little extra for garnish too!
- Tomatoes: Roma tomatoes tend to work the best for this recipe because they don’t have as many seeds. (I would even suggest discarding the seeds before adding them to the soup.)
- Jalapenos: Make sure to de-seed your jalapenos so the soup isn’t too spicy. (We really just want the flavor of the jalapeno anyways!)
- Garlic: I’ve yet to find a good recipe that doesn’t involve garlic!😉
- Spices: Cumin, salt & pepper are all you need to dress up this tasty chicken soup!
Looking for a good crockpot? This is the one we use! CLICK HERE
How to make chicken avocado & lime soup in the slow cooker
Crockpot soups are my jam! The fact that you can throw all your ingredients in a pot and have a warm tasty meal when you get home is such a lifesaver! Here’s how we make this one:
- Place your chicken breasts in the bottom of a crockpot and season them generously with salt and pepper.
- Then add your chicken stock, green onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno & cumin. Cover the crockpot and turn it on low for 5-7 hours.
- Once done, shred your chicken breasts using 2 forks and place the chicken back in the crockpot. Add your chopped cilantro and lime juice and give it a good stir.
- Serve immediately with diced avocado added to each individual bowl and all your yummy toppings on the side! (It’s the best with tortilla strips & extra lime wedges!)
Now how easy does that sound?
We all know toppings are the best part, right?! And when it comes to my family, I swear we have an entire table full of yummy options. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Tortilla chips
- Lots & lots of avocado (Because they’re can never be enough.😉)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sliced green onion
- Extra lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Can you put raw chicken in a slow cooker soup? Yes it’s completely safe to do so as long as there’s an ample amount of time for the chicken to cook. This slow cooker soup recipe calls for a minimum of 5 hours in the crockpot which is plenty of time to ensure that it’s safe to eat.
- Can I use chicken thighs instead of breasts in my soup? I’ve personally never tried this soup with chicken thighs but I imagine it would still work the same. Just make sure to throroughly clean the thighs so there’s not a lot of excess fat.
- How do I reheat my chicken soup? The best way is to reheat it is on the stove over medium heat until it reaches your desired temperature.
- Can I freeze my chicken avocado lime soup? Absolutely! Just make sure to discard any avocado pieces before freezing. (They don’t taste that great after being thawed.) To freeze your soup, pour it into an airtight container and place it in the freezer.
Why you’ll love this easy chicken soup recipe
- Crockpot does all the work! All you have to do is chop a few ingredients and pour them in!
- Easy clean up! Because your crockpot literally does it all – you’re left with only one pot to clean!
- So flavorful & healthy too! This chicken soup is loaded with lean protein, healthy fats & zesty Mexican herbs & spices!
Need it gluten free? Great news, it already is!
Need it dairy free? Great news, it already is!
More soup recipes you might like:
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Crockpot Chicken Avocado & Lime Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 2 32 oz. containers chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- 1¼ cup green onion, sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded & diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded & minced
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice*
- ⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 large avocados, diced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: tortilla strips, extra lime wedges, cheddar cheese
- Rinse your chicken breasts and place them in the bottom of your crockpot. Then season them generously with salt and pepper.
- Next add your chicken stock/broth, green onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos and cumin. Cover the crockpot and turn it on low for 5-7 hours.
- Once done, remove your chicken breasts and shred them using 2 forks. Add your shredded chicken back to the crockpot and stir in your cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve with avocado added to each individual bowl and your desired toppings on top.