Sweet delicata squash is roasted with warm cinnamon spices and served with a sweet maple yogurt dipping sauce! Can you say delicious?!
Does anyone else have that one food item they absolutely LOVE but it’s only in season once during the year??!! (The struggle is real, isn’t it… 😉 ) If we’re talking summer, than that’s definitely fresh cherries for me. BUT if we’re talking fall, then it’s all about the delicata squash baby! And one of my absolute favorite ways to eat it is by roasting it up into little fries and serving it with a dip! So I’m sharing a sweet version of this deliciousness today with my cinnamon roasted delicata squash fries served with a maple yogurt dipping sauce!
What is delicata squash?
Ok first things first. I know by now some of you probably have this weird look on your face because you’ve never even heard of delicata squash. (Trust me, that was me about 3 years ago too, so I totally get it.) But let me explain. Delicata is just a type of winter squash that is long and slender and usually has some sort of green or orange stripes on it. When it’s cooked, it tastes sweet (almost like a butternut squash) which makes it fantastic for a ton of sweet and savory dishes. But my favorite part about delicata is that you can eat the skin too! That’s right, there’s no peeling or any extra prep involved when it comes to cooking these beauties!
How do I cook delicata squash?
My absolute favorite way to cook delicata squash is to roast it! And it honestly could not be any easier! Check out my never fail directions for roasting delicata below:
- First cut off both ends of the squash. Then cut the squash in half length-wise, so you now have 2 pieces.
- Take a spoon and scoop out the insides of each half until it’s hollow. Discard the insides.
- Then cut each half into about 3/4″ slices and place them in a large bowl. (The slices will look like little half moons.)
- Spray the squash slices with avocado oil or drizzle them with a little olive oil. Mix them around to make sure they’re fully coated. From there you can add any spices you want or you can leave them as is. (Sometimes I’ll just sprinkle some cracked salt over them right before putting them in the oven. That’s all they really need!)
- Then pour the squash onto a prepared baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper and spread them out so they’re not touching.
- Sprinkle the slices with salt (if using) and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Now how easy is that?!
How do I make a maple yogurt dipping sauce?
I’ll be completely honest, I just came up with this sauce on a whim one day. I wanted something sweet but not overly sweet to compliment the squash so I just threw together whatever I could find and it ended up being fantastic! Best part? It’s only 2 ingredients!
- Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce: 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt + 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
(Double or triple sauce as needed)
And that’s a wrap loves! Since I love delicata squash so much, I can promise you that there WILL be more recipes like these cinnamon roasted delicata squash fries up on the blog soon! 😉 So let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like to see! Hope you’re having a great day!
Check out some of my other favorite way to roast delicata below:
- Parmesan Crusted Roasted Delicata – Skinnytaste
- Brown Sugar Delicata Squash – Dinner at the Zoo
- Delicata Squash Fries with Chipotle Garlic Dipping Sauce – Karen’s Kitchen Stories
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Cinnamon Roasted Delicata Squash Fries
For the Cinnamon Delicata Fries:
- 1 large delicata squash
- ½-¾ tsp cinnamon (depending on how much cinnamon you prefer)
- Avocado oil spray (or avocado oil)*
- Salt, to taste
For the Maple Yogurt Sauce:
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup (not Aunt Jemima)
- (Double & triple sauce as needed)
To make the Cinnamon Delicata Fries:
- Cut both ends off the squash and then cut the squash in half length-wise. Scoop out the insides and discard them.
- Cut each half into 3/4" slices and place them in a large bowl. (The slices will look like little half moons.) Spray the slices with avocado oil spray and sprinkle them with cinnamon. Mix them around to make sure they're fully coated.
- Spread the slices out in a single layer on a baking sheet that's been lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve with maple yogurt dipping sauce!
To make the Maple Yogurt Sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together and serve!