Fresh, easy and made with minimal ingredients too! This delicious salad has all the flavors of traditional shrimp ceviche in half the time!
Ceviche… just that word alone makes me crave summer! With it’s light citrus-y flavors and bright vibrant colors, how could you not want to stuff your face full of it while relaxing at the beach?! (At least that’s what I day dream about anyways…😉) And this cilantro lime shrimp and avocado salad is an easy way to satisfy those cravings in half the time without all the work!!
- Frozen precooked shrimp: You can usually find precooked shrimp in the frozen section of any grocery. Any size of shrimp will work for this recipe but I would not suggest using bay shrimp! (They have a much different flavor and texture from regular shrimp. See the section below for directions on how to cook your own shrimp if you prefer.)
- Tomatoes: I love using cherry tomatoes for this recipe because they have such a bold “tomato-y” flavor to them. Try to find some that are as ripe as your can to really add some flavor to your dish. (You can also use regular large tomatoes instead and chop them into smaller pieces.)
- Avocado: Adds creaminess to your salad and helps to balance the tang from your lime juice. Look for avocados that give slightly when you squeeze them. (The firmer they are, the more under ripe they are.)
- Red onion: Adds a little bit of crunch and compliments your other flavors. (You can also use white or green onion instead but I persoanlly like the added color of the red onion.)
- Cilantro: Adds freshness to your dish! (Feel free to add as little or as much cilantro as you prefer.)
- Lime juice: Provides that tang which is necessity when it comes to having traditional ceviche. For the best results, look for limes that have a smooth skin and are slightly heavier than the others.
- Salt & pepper: Helps to balance out each individual flavor!
Precooked shrimp vs. Raw shrimp
I personally prefer using precooked shrimp for this recipe because it cuts down on prep time and makes my life so much easier. But that being said, you can also buy raw shrimp and cook it yourself too! Here are 2 easy methods to cook your shrimp!
- Boiling: Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove. Once you’ve peeled and deviened your shrimp, add them to the water and boil for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Then remove your shrimp from the pot and discard the water. Let your shrimp chill in the fridge until you’re ready to make your salad.
- Sauteing: Heat a large saute pan and over medium high heat. Once it’s hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Then add your shrimp in an even layer and cook on one side for 2 minutes, then flip them over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove your shrimp from the pan and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to make your salad.
How to make cilantro lime shrimp & avocado salad
- Place your chopped shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, onion and cilantro together in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Then add your lime juice and toss the salad until everything is completely coated.
- Place your salad in the fridge to chill or eat it immediately!
*If meal prepping this salad for the week: Keep your avocado separate from the rest of your ingredients and add it right before you’re ready to eat.
Serving ideas for this salad
This salad is super tasty when eaten on it’s own, but here are a few other fun ideas for serving it too!
- Eat it with your favorite tortilla chips or crackers!
- Wrap it up in a tortilla with some shredded cabbage and make zesty shrimp tacos!
- Top it over tostadas with some fresh guacamole!
- Add it to your nachos after they come out of the oven!
- Make ceviche lettuce wraps for a delicious low carb option!
It’s such a great protein packed meal that’s so refreshing and perfect for a light lunch or dinner! I hope you all enjoy it just as much as we do!
More recipes you might like:
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche
- Spicy Shrimp, Mango & Avocado Salad
- Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos with Chipotle Lime Sauce
- Pan Seared Salmon with Lemon Dijon Sauce
- Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Cilantro Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad
- 1 lbs. frozen precooked shrimp (thawed, tails taken off & cut into thirds)
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- ½ cup cherry toamotes, halved or quartered
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place your chopped shrimp, avocados, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro together in a bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Then add your lime juice and toss the salad until it's fully coated.
- Place your salad in the fridge to chill or serve it immediately with your favorite chips.
- If meal prepping this salad for the later: Keep your avocado separate from the rest of your ingredients and add it right before serving.