Cool down this summer with these healthier frozen yogurt sandwiches! They’re sweet, creamy and loaded with fresh cherries and rich chocolate!
Summer is my jam! Between the heat, the long nights and all the amazing summer food, how could NOT love it right?! Especially when it comes to all those frozen summer desserts! Now I know everyone has their favorite, (whether it’s popsicles or sorbet or maybe even those frozen chocolate covered bananas you get at the fair every year), but mine will always be some sort of ice cream/frozen yogurt sandwich. 🙂 So I’m beyond excited today to share my easy recipe for these chocolate dipped frozen yogurt sandwiches!
They’re creamy. They’re sweet. They melt in your mouth. They’re full of juicy cherries and drizzled with chocolate. AND they’re probably the easiest dessert in the world to make too! (Pretty hard to compete with that huh?!)
- Vanilla Greek yogurt: Make sure to use Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt for this recipe! (Greek yogurt is much thicker than regular yogurt and helps the filling to keep it’s shape.)
- TruWhip: This is just a healthier alternative to Cool Whip. If you can’t find TruWhip then Cool Whip will also work just as well. (I’m pretty sure Cool Whip even has some reduced fat or “lighter” options too if you’re interested in that.) If you’re trying to keep this more dairy free then So Delicious has a CocoWhip you can use too! (Made with coconut milk.)
- Fresh cherries
- Graham crackers
- Chocolate chips: I used dark chocolate chips for this recipe, but you can also semi-sweet or milk chocolate too! (I’ve also made these sandwiches plain without dipping them in chocolate, so that’s also an option too!)
- Coconut oil: Helps to thin out the chocolate for your “dipped coating.”
Can I use a different fruit besides cherries?
Absolutely! You can substitute any fruit you want really and these sandwiches will come out just as good. Some of my other favorite fruits to use are strawberries, raspberries and even blackberries! Just make sure to cut them pretty finely to make cutting the sandwiches into squares easier later.
How to make an easy “chocolate dipped coating”
This is so easy loves! Most recipes will tell you to use the “double boiler method” for melting chocolate. But I found that melting it in the microwave actually works just as well too! (And it’s a little faster.) All you need are the 2 ingredients listed below:
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a bowl and heat them in the microwave at 30 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. (Make sure to stir in between each interval!)
- Once the chocolate is melted, you can start dipping your sandwiches. Place them back on a tray and freeze them again for 10-15 minutes.
Note: The “chocolate coating” is completely optional! Sometimes I’ll leave these sandwiches plain and they’re just as good served this way too.
How to store these frozen yogurt sandwiches
After the sandwiches have been cut and refrozen (or cut, dipped in chocolate and refrozen), wrap each sandwich individually with plastic wrap and store them in the freezer until your ready to eat. These should last for about 1 week in the freezer. (That is if they make it that long! 😉 )
Tips for making these sandwiches
- REMEMBER what side you put the halved crackers on for the bottom layer! I’ve forgotten a few times before and my top and bottom crackers didn’t match up. So when I went to cut them, I cut straight through several of the bigger crackers. 😮
- Make sure to cut your cherries (or whichever fruit your using) decently small. This makes your sandwiches easier to cut after they’ve been frozen.
- If you’re sandwiches are too hard to cut into squares, just let them thaw at room temperature for 8-10 minutes before trying to cut them again.
- For thinner sandwiches: This recipe makes pretty thick sandwiches, (which I personally prefer). But if you want them a little thinner, then just use 1 1/2 cups of Greek yogurt, TruWhip and cherries instead. Make the rest according to the directions below.
These are quickly becoming a favorite in our house and I just know they’re going to become a favorite of yours too!
I hope you’re all having a blessed day loves!
More recipes like this one:
- Edible Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (One of my most popular recipes on the blog!)
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Sorbet
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- S’mores Skillet Dip
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Chocolate Dipped Cherry Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
For the sandwiches:
- 2 cups vanilla greek yogurt
- 2 cups TruWhip (can be replaced with Cool Whip)
- 2 cups cherries, chopped
- 21 graham cracker squares (10½ squares for the top & bottom layers)
For the chocolate coating:
- 1 cup chocolate chips (dark, semi-sweet or milk)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
To make the sandwiches:
- Line a 9×9 baking tin with aluminum foil. Place 9 graham crackers squares on the bottom of the tin to form a grid. Break the 10th graham cracker in half and place the 3 halves at the top of your "grid". (You won't have enough crackers to completely cover the bottom so one side pf the tin will have a small gap.)
- Mix the greek yogurt, TruWhip and chopped cherries together in a bowl. Spoon the yogurt mixture over your graham crackers and spread it out evenly. Then place your remaining graham crackers on top the same way as you did the bottom. Freeze the entire tin for at least 4 hours.
- Once your sandwiches are frozen, take them out of the freezer and cut them into squares. If your sandwiches are too frozen to cut, let the tin thaw for 8-10 minutes before trying to cut them again.
- Eat immediately or place back in the freezer to eat later!
To make chocolate dipped sandwiches:
- Once your sandwiches are cut, place them on a tray lined with aluminum foil and place the tray back in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- When you're ready to dip, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil together in the microwave at 30 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. (Make sure to stir in between each interval.) Take your sandwiches out of the freezer and immediately dip them in the melted chocolate. Place them back on the tray and freeze again for at least 10 minutes before eating.