Kick your taco night up a notch with these quick and easy shrimp tacos! They’re spicy, tangy and are always a family favorite!
Tacos have been our go-to meal lately, espeically during a busy week. And these chipotle lime shrimp tacos are some of the best we’ve ever had! They’re a little spicy, are loaded with crisp cabbage and creamy avocado and all drizzled with the best homemade chipotle lime sauce! (Pro tip: Charr those tortillas loves! I’m telling ya, it makes a world of difference! 😉 )
- Chipotle lime shrimp: Can use fresh or frozen shrimp. (Just make sure they’re peeled and deveined before cooking them!)
- Cabbage: Adds a little texture and crunch to your tacos. (You can use green or purple cabbage or even a mixture of both!)
- Red onion: Compliments each flavor and adds to it’s texture.
- Avocado: Adds creaminess to balance out the spice from your shrimp. (Guacamole would also be a great replacement too!)
- Chipotle sauce: Takes your tacos to the next level & adds even more spice and flavor! (See my recipe below)
- Optional toppings: cotija or cheddar cheese, extra lime, cilantro, hot sauce (even though they’re pretty spicy already!)
How to make chipotle lime shrimp
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Squeeze of fresh lime
- Add your shrimp and spices to a large plastic bag and give them a good squeeze of fresh lime juice. Then shake the bag until the shrimp is fully coated.
- Next, spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat it over medium high heat. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until the shrimp is cooked all the way through.
How do you know when the shrimp is cooked?
Shrimp can be a little tricky when it comes to cooking because they’re so small and cook so fast. But don’t worry loves! You’ll know the shrimp is cooked through when it turns pink/opaque and starts to curl on itself. (I’ll usually wait until I see the shrimp turn pink/opaque half way in the pan and then I know they’re ready to flip! They’ll usually take about 2-3 minutes per side.) Also make sure not to crowd the pan because the shrimp won’t cook evenly then. If you have to make them in batches – that’s OK!
How to make the best chipotle lime sauce
This sauce is one of my favorite condiments for tacos because it’s simple, super flavorful and only requires 3 ingredients!
- 3/4 cup light mayo
- 3/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Whisk these ingredients together in a bowl and place the sauce in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. (Quick note: The sauce can thicken up a little bit after it’s been sitting in the fridge, so you may need to add a smidge more lime juice when you go to use it.)
Ideas for Leftovers
Have some shrimp and fixin’s leftover from your taco night?! No problem at all! Here are a few easy ways you can repurpose them that are so tasty too!
- Shrimp taco salad: Add your cabbage and leftover toppings to a bowl, place the shrimp on top and drizzle it all with your sauce and a squeeze of lime! (It’s also so good with some crushed up tortilla chips too!
- Chipotle shrimp nachos: Place some tortilla chips on a baking sheet and layer them with cheese and your shrimp. Bake them in the oven until your cheese has melted and add the rest of your toppings when they’re done!
- Spicy shrimp tostadas: Add a layer of mashed avocado or guacamole to your tostada shells, then layer it with your shrimp and other leftover toppings!
- Chipotle shrimp salad (ceviche-ish style): Chop your cooked shrimp into bite-sized pieces and place in the a bowl. Add some diced mango, avocado, red onion and cilantro and give it a VERY generous squeeze of lime! Toss your salad together and eat it with chips or serve it over some cabbage!
Now do you see why I’m obsessed with shrimp tacos?! They’re so easy and make for a quick and healthy weeknight meal! Plus their flavor is out of this world!
I hope you all enjoy the easy peasy chipotle lime shrimp tacos!
More delicious Mexican Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche (One of my most popular recipes on the blog!)
- Easy Mexican Corn Dip
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos
For the Shrimp:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & devained
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Squeeze of lime
For the Chipotle Lime Sauce:
- ¾ cup mayo
- ¾ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 Tbsps lime juice
For the Tacos:
- Corn tortillas (can be replaced with flour tortillas)
- Cabbage, thinly sliced
- Optional toppings: cheese, avocado, guacamole, extra lime
To Make the Chipotle Lime Sauce:
- Whisk all of your ingredients together in bowl and store it in the fridge while you prepare the rest of your tacos.
To Make the Shrimp:
- Add your shrimp and spices to a large plastic bag and give it a good squeeze of fresh lime juice. Shake the bag to fully coat the shrimp.
- Then heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it's hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and add the shrimp. (Make sure not to over crowd the pan or your shrimp won't cook evenly. If you need to do this in batches, it's ok!) Cook the shrimp on both sides for 2-3 minutes or until the they're cooked all the way through.
- Place the shrimp in a bowl until you're ready to assemble your tacos.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- Take a tortilla and layer it with your shrimp, chipotle lime sauce, cabbage, red onion and avocado. Squeeze a little extra lime over the top and serve!