Spicy chipotle seasoned shrimp, shredded cabbage & creamy avocado are stuffed inside charred corn tortillas and drizzled with the best chipotle lime sauce! These shrimp tacos are just what you need for your next taco night!
Tacos are my love language. (Anyone else feel the same way?!🙋♀️) Because if that’s you then you have to try these spicy chipotle lime shrimp tacos! They have just the right amount of spice, are loaded with crisp cabbage and creamy avocado & have THE BEST chipotle lime sauce to drizzle over the top! I’m telling you, your taco night will never be the same after servings these! Wanna know a little secret that takes them over the top?! Char those tortillas! I’m telling you loves, it takes them from drab to fab in no time at all!😉
Ingredients For Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos
- Shrimp: Use peeled & deveined frozen shrimp to cut down on prep time.
- Chipotle chili powder: Can be replaced with ancho chipotle powder if you prefer. (Ancho chili powder tends to be a little sweeter.)
- Chili powder: All chili powders are different so I would suggest trying a few to see what you like the best.
- Paprika: Do not use smoked paprika for this recipe! (We get enough smokiness from the chipotle powder. Adding smoked paprika will overdo it.)
- Salt: Just a touch is all you need to bring out the flavor in your shrimp.
- Cabbage: Adds so much texture to your tacos. (You can use green or purple cabbage or even a mixture of both!)
- Onion: Red or white onion works for this recipe. Red onions tend to be sweeter while white onions have a stronger “onion” flavor.
- Avocado: Adds creaminess to balance out the spice from your shrimp. (Guacamole would be a great replacement too!)
- Mayonnaise: The base for your chipotle lime sauce!
- Cotija cheese: Optional but adds so much flavor to your shrimp tacos!
How To Make Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos
- Make the sauce. Whisk your sauce ingredients together & store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- Prep the rest of your ingredients. Thinly slice your cabbage, dice your onion & avocado, crumble your cotija cheese (if using) & char your tortillas.
- Cook your shrimp. Take the tails off your shrimp & place them in a large plastic bag. Then combine your spices in a small bowl & pour them in the bag with your shrimp. Add a squeeze of lime to the bag then seal it & shake until the shrimp are fully coated. Next heat a large pan over medium high heat & spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Once hot, add your shrimp to the pan (be careful not to overcrowd them) & cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl once done.
- Serve! Top each tortilla with your cooked shrimp, cabbage, avocado & red onion. Then drizzle your sauce over the top and finish with a sprinkle of cotija cheese. Serve immediately!
Let’s Talk Shrimp!
- What’s the best shrimp to use for tacos? I always use frozen shrimp with the tail on for this taco recipe. (We usually have a large Costco sized bag of it stashed in the freezer.😉) They thaw in minutes and there’s no extra prep work needed!
- How do I know when my shrimp is cooked? Your shrimp will turn slightly opaque and pink in some areas. A good way to check for doneness is to watch the crevice on the outside of the shrimp. When the flesh at the base has turned from grayish to opaque (white) then your shrimp are done!
Topping Ideas For Shrimp Tacos
Why do I love tacos so much? (Besides the fact that they taste AMAZING.😉) You can easily switch up your toppings to what you have on hand or to fit your personal preferences! Here are a few other topping ideas you could try too:
- Pico de gallo
- Chopped cilantro
- Queso fresco (if you’re not a fan of cotija cheese)
- Shredded lettuce (to replace the cabbage)
- Sliced green onion
- Extra lime wedges (to squeeze over the top)
- Are shrimp tacos better with corn or flour tortillas? I personally love corn tortillas for shrimp tacos! I just think they compliment your flavors better than flour tortillas and gives your tacos a more authentic feel.
- Can I prep my shrimp taco ingredients before hand? Absolutely! Your sauce can be made up and the cabbage and onion can be cut the day before. I would wait to cut your avocado and cook your shrimp until you’re ready to eat though.
- How do I store my leftover shrimp taco fixings? Store each ingredient in a separate container and keep them in the fridge.
- How long will my shrimp stay good in the fridge? Cooked shrimp will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator if stored properly.
- How long will my shrimp taco sauce stay good in the fridge? Your sauce should last for up to 4 days if stored properly.
Why you’ll love this shrimp taco recipe!
- Quick & easy! Your shrimp takes minutes to cook & the sauce can easily be made before hand! Dinner’s on the table in no time at all!
- Bold flavors & textures! Spicy chipotle shrimp, crisp fresh cabbage & creamy avocado all drizzled with a tangy chipotle sauce! Sprinkle cotija cheese over the top for the ultimate flavor experience!
- Healthier shrimp tacos! Most shrimp tacos are breaded & fried, but not these! Just a simple sauté in some spices & lime juice is all you need!
- Great way to switch up your taco night! Tired of the same old ground beef tacos? These spicy shrimp tacos are the perfect replacement!
Need them gluten free? Use corn tortillas in stead of flour tortillas.
Need them dairy free? Omit the cotija cheese!
More taco recipes you might like:
- Chili Lime Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Jalapeno Crema
- Crispy Chicken Carnitas Tacos
- Chipotle Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos with Mexican Corn Salsa
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my Instagram @kalefornia_kravings & leave a review in the comments. I love seeing what you create!]
Chipotle Lime Shrimp Tacos
For the chipotle lime shrimp:
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled & deveined
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Squeeze of lime
For the chipotle lime sauce:
- ¾ cup mayo
- ¾ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 4 Tbsps lime juice
For the tacos:
- Corn tortillas, charred
- Cabbage, thinly sliced
- Avocado, diced
- Red onion, diced
- Cotija cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Extra lime wedges, for serving
To make the sauce:
- Whisk your sauce ingredients together in bowl and store it in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
To make the shrimp:
- Add your shrimp and spices to a large plastic bag and give it a good squeeze of fresh lime juice. Then shake the bag to fully coat the shrimp.
- Next heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once it's hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and add the shrimp. (Don't over crowd the pan or your shrimp won't cook evenly. It's ok if you need to do this in batches.) Cook your shrimp for 2-3 minutes per side or until the they're cooked all the way through.
- Pour the shrimp in a bowl and assemble the rest of your ingredients.
To assemble the tacos:
- Heat a tortilla pan over high heat and char your tortillas.
- Then take a tortilla and layer it with your cooked shrimp, chipotle lime sauce, onion, avocado, cabbage and cotija cheese (if using). Squeeze a little extra lime juice over the top and serve!