A refreshing salad made with chopped romaine and green cabbage, shredded carrots, shredded chicken, madarin oranges, green onion, cilantro and crispy wonton strips. It’s then tossed in a homemade honey-soy vinaigrette that will make your taste buds sing!
I love loaded salads! Especially during summer. And especially during those summer months when the temp hit triple digits babes! (Turning the oven on in this heat?? No thank you! 😉 ) So I couldn’t think of a more loaded salad to share with you all today than my crisp and refreshing Chinese chopped chicken salad!
Make Ahead Ingredients
Why do I love this salad you ask? For so many reasons! Not only is it healthy and extremely easy to make, but all of it’s ingredients can be prepped before hand too! Which makes it a breeze to throw it all together if you’re serving this for a large group.
Tips for storing “make ahead” ingredients:
- Option 1: Store all the ingredients separately in air tight containers in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- Option 2: You can also store the the more “wet” ingredients (the chicken and mandarin oranges) in their own separate containers and combine everything else in a large bowl to store until you’re ready to use them.
- Same goes for the vinaigrette! (You can actually make this a few days in advance if need be.) Store the vinaigrette in a sealed jar or small bowl in the fridge and it will last up to 1 week.
Making the honey-soy vinaigrette
Like all my dressing/vinaigrette recipes, this one is pretty straight forward. All you need are the following ingredients, a jar or bowl and you’re set! (Plus I’ve included some substitutions for specific diets too!)
- 2 Tbsps low sodium soy sauce (Use coconut aminos if Paleo or tamari if gluten free)
- 2 Tbsps rice vinegar (Can use seasoned or unseasoned or cider vinegar if Paleo)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Can be replaced with sesame seed oil)
- 1 Tbsp honey (Use raw if Paleo)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Place all of these ingredients in a jar/bowl and whisk them together until the honey completely dissolves!
This healthier Chinese chopped chicken salad would be absolutely perfect for your next family get-together, picnic or even just to meal prep for yourself during the week! I can’t wait to hear what you think of it too!
Have a great Wednesday loves! 🙂
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Chinese Chopped Chicken Salad
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- 1-2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1-2 cups manadrin oranges*
- 2-3 Tbsps cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- Optional toppings: wonton strips, sesame seeds, sliced almonds
For the vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsps soy sauce** (or coconut aminos or tamari if gluten free)
- 2 Tbsps rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
To make the vinaigrette:
- Place all dressing ingredients in a glass jar or small bowl and whisk them together until the honey is fully dissolved. Set aside.
To make the salad:
- Combine the romaine, cabbage, carrots, chicken, mandarin oranges, cilantro and green onions in a large bowl. Toss the salad.
- Then pour in some of your dressing. (You may not need to use all of it.) Toss the salad again until everything is fully coated.
- Sprinkle on the optional toppings right before you're ready to serve.