Love buffalo chicken? Then you’re going to fall in love with these spicy and sweet stuffed sweet potatoes! They’re piled high with shredded chicken from the crock pot and drizzled with an insanely delicious buffalo sauce! It just doesn’t get any better than this!
I swear I go through phases with food. (Anyone else do the same thing?) And this current phase I’m in involves all things buffalo! Which basically I’m buffalo-izing everything in sight! Chickpeas, edamame, brussel sprouts…you name it and I’ve probably put this glorious sauce all over it! BUT these buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes have been my most favorite meal with it yet!
Oh and the best part?! It was SO EASY to make and took little to no effort at all! (Plus lots and lots of leftovers. 🙂 )
So let’s start with some basics, shall we?!
How do I cook chicken in the slow cooker?
Cooking chicken this way is such a great option for when you’re busy and don’t have the time to make an elaborate meal. (Or your just feeling lazy but still want some good food! 😉 ) All it requires is a crock pot (obviously), chicken breasts and any type of sauce or spice rub you’re planning to use. Directions are below:
- Spray your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place the breasts in the pot and pour the sauce over them, making sure to completely coat each breast. (If using a spice rub, then rub the spices all over the chicken first before putting them in the crock pot.)
- Cook chicken on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
*Note: Cooking chicken in the slow cooker is perfect if you’re wanting some kind of shredded chicken. Every chicken recipe that I’ve made in the crock pot resulted in chicken that was very moist but also fell apart as soon as I tried to pick it up. So moral of the story: CROCK POT = SHREDDED CHICKEN!
How do I cook sweet potatoes in the oven?
So easy! We cook our sweet potatoes this way all the time because it’s fast, easy and comes out perfect every time! Directions are listed below:
- First wash and dry your potatoes before starting. (We don’t want any dirt getting in the way of their delicious flavor. 😉 )
- Take a fork and poke a few shallow holes all over each potato.
- Rub a little bit of oil all over your potatoes. (I usually prefer using avocado oil because it has a higher burning point and tends to make the outer skins crispier. But olive oil would work just as well.) Then sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Place them on a baking sheet that’s been lined with parchment paper and bake them for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
*Note: You’ll know the potatoes are done cooking when you squeeze them and they’re soft to the touch.
How do I make buffalo sauce?
I know A TON of recipes out there call for cups of butter and salt and all these other crazy ingredients, but honestly you only really need 2 two things. Frank’s red hot sauce (NOT wing sauce) and butter/ghee. From there it’s all about ratios. The ratio I use is below and simply double or triple it accordingly.
- Single: 1/4 cup Franks red hot sauce + 1 Tbsp melted butter/ghee
- Doubled: 1/2 cup Frank’s red hot sauce + 2 Tbsps melted butter/ghee
- Tripled: 3/4 cups Franks red hot sauce + 3 Tbsps melted butter/ghee
Can I meal prep these buffalo chicken stuffed sweet potatoes?
Absolutely! That’s one of my favorite things about this recipe! Simply follow the directions below for cooking the chicken and potatoes and then store them in the fridge in separate air tight containers. When you’re ready to eat, just pull out a potato and however much chicken you want, heat them in the microwave with a little extra sauce and you’re good to go!
You can also reheat the chicken and potato together in the oven at 375 degrees for about 5-10 minutes instead too.
Now who’s ready to dig in?! 🙂
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
For the Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ cup Franks hot sauce (NOT wing sauce)
- 2 Tbsps butter, melted (or ghee if Whole30)
- Extra Sauce for serving (heat ½ cup Frank red hot sauce + 2 Tbsps butter in a sauce pan)
For Sweet Potatoes:
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- Avocado oil
- Salt & pepper
To make the Buffalo Chicken:
- Place all the ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Once chicken is done, shred it and place it back in the crock pot to keep warm.
To make the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take a fork and poke a few shallow holes all over the potatoes. Then rub them with avocado oil and sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Potatoes should be soft to the touch when you squeeze them.)
To make Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut a slit down the center of each potato and push on both ends of the potato to "open" it up.
- Take a handful of shredded chicken from the crock pot and place it inside the sweet potato. Top it with your extra sauce and serve!