Tangy barbecue chicken, gooey cheese and fresh onion and cilantro all baked on a crispy tortilla crust! These easy tortilla pizzas are a fun meal the whole family will enjoy!
Pizza is always my go-to whenever I want a fun family night meal! Think about it though, everyone gets to pick their own crust, their own sauce, all the toppings they could possibly want… I mean, how fun does a pizza bar sound right now?! But sometimes making my own ‘zza at home can just see so daunting… Well not anymore thanks to these insanely easy tortilla pizzas! (More specifically these bbq chicken tortilla pizzas! 😉 ) It is getting close to summer after all!
6 ingredients is all you need for this easy peasy tortilla pizza recipe!
- Flour tortillas: Can be replaced with gluten free tortillas but they do need be to be flour of some kind. Corn tortillas will not work for these! (I used Siete Almond Flour Tortillas.)
- Shredded chicken: You can either use pre-shredded store bought chicken or you can make your own. See the section below on how I make my own shredded chicken.
- BBQ sauce: Feel free to use your favorite! (I used Stubbs Sweet Heat sauce for mine.)
- Mozzarella cheese: Shredded mozzarella works the best for this recipe!
- Red onion
How do I make shredded chicken?
There are 2 methods you can use to make your own shredded bbq chicken; the baking method and the crockpot method.
- The Baking Method: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Take 2 chicken breasts, season them with salt and pepper and place them in your prepared dish. Pour some barbecue sauce over the top of your breasts and place the dish in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Once done, take a fork and a knife and shred the chicken. (You may want to add a little more bbq sauce after they’re shredded to completely coat the chicken.)
- The Crockpot Method: Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place them in your crockpot. Pour some bbq sauce over the top of your breasts. (Make sure to completely cover them.) Place the lid on the pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3 hours. Once the chicken is done, take it out of the crockpot and shred it with a fork and knife.
What kind of tortillas should I use?
For this recipe, I would strongly suggest using flour tortillas. I tried making these with corn tortillas and they did not turn out well at all. That being said, you can also use gluten free tortillas or even whole wheat tortillas if you prefer.
Can I prep any ingredients ahead of time?
Absolutely! That’s what makes these tortilla pizzas so perfect for a quick meal because EVERYTHING can be prepped beforehand!
- BBQ chicken: You can easily prepare this the night before or even a few days before you’re planning to make your pizzas. Just cook the chicken according to my directions above and store it in an air tight container in the fridge.
- Tortillas: You can also make these the night before or earlier in the day before you’re planning to make pizza. Just toast the tortillas in oven at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes and store them in a plastic bag until you’re ready to use them.
- Mozzarella cheese: Buy pre-shredded cheese to make things easier or you can also grate fresh mozzarella the night before so it’s ready to go the next day.
- Red onion & cilantro: Just cut them up and store them in their own separate containers in the fridge.
More recipe like this:
- BBQ Turkey Meatballs
- Baked Cajun Chicken Wings with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- Coconut Shrimp with Mango Chili Lime Sauce
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizzas
- 4 flour tortillas (I used almond flour tortillas to keep the gluten free)
- Shredded rotisserie chicken (use store bought or make your own)
- Barbecue sauce (to sauce the pizza AND for the chicken)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red onion, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place your tortillas on a baking sheet and bake them for 4-5 minutes or until they just begin to get crispy. (You can do this one tortilla at a time or in bulk.) While the tortillas are baking, mix a small amount of barbecue sauce with your shredded chicken. Set it aside.
- Once the tortillas done, place one tortilla back on the baking sheet and spread a small amount of barbecue sauce over the top. Layer on your cheese, barbecue chicken and red onions. Place the sheet back in the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes (or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.) Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Top with some cilantro and more barbecue sauce and serve immediately.