Tangy, sweet, spicy and everything in between! These hearty bbq chicken quesadillas are a fun American twist on a classic Mexican dish! (Plus they’re gluten free too!)
Picture this: It’s 4:30pm, you’re just getting home from work (starving) and the last thing you want to do is create some big elaborate meal to satisfy your hunger… Sound familiar? Because that’s me on the daily loves! Thankfully I’ve been able to come up with a few easy meal ideas now that take no time at all to whip up and are still absolutely delicious! And these bbq chicken quesadillas are at the top of the list!
First things first babes, the number one reason I love this recipe is because it requires the simplest ingredients that you can pick up at any of your local grocery stores. (Because I wanted to keep this recipe gluten free, I shopped at Sprouts Farmers Market for all of my groceries. Gluten free products tend to be pretty pricey but with Sprouts’ “healthy savings” deals I was able to get these items for half the price!) Here’s what you’ll need:
- Siete Almond Flour Tortillas (These are such a great option for anyone looking for a gluten free tortilla and they crisp up so nicely! You can definitely use regular flour tortillas too if you’re not gluten free.)
- Shredded chicken (Store bought or homemade)
- BBQ sauce (I used Stubbs Sweet Heat sauce which is gluten free. Feel free to use your favorite bbq sauce though!)
- Frozen corn
- Red onion
- Shredded mozzarella
- Fresh cilantro
How do I make homemade shredded chicken for this recipe?
Like I stated above, if you’re tight on time just grab some shredded rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and that will work just fine. However, if you like making your own shredded chicken then I’ve listed a few simple steps below for you.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- BBQ sauce (preferably the same one you’re using for the quesadillas)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place your chicken in the pan spread the bbq sauce on both sides of the chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken for 20 minutes or until they reach an internal temp of 165 degrees.
- Once done, take the chicken out of the oven and shredded it using a fork and knife.
This can easily be done the day before or even over the weekend to help save on time. (Plus any leftovers you have are great for salads and lunches too!
Should I use fresh or frozen corn?
Again, if you don’t have time to prepare fresh corn then I would suggest using frozen corn and simply thawing it in the fridge the night before. However, if you do have time (and you like to meal prep) then you can always cook fresh corn and cut the kernels off 2-3 days before making these quesadillas. Here’s my fool proof way to cook fresh corn below:
- Place a large pot of water on the stove, sprinkle in a little bit of sugar and bring the water to a boil. (The sugar helps to sweeten the corn. DO NOT use salt!)
- While the water is heating, take the husks off the corn.
- Once the water is boiling, place the corn cobs in the water and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the corn out of the pot and cut the kernels off the cob.
- Store the kernels in an air tight container in the fridge until your ready to use them.
What sauce do I serve with bbq chicken quesadillas?
In all honesty, these quesadillas really don’t need much in terms of sauce. Because we coated the chicken in bbq sauce and put an extra layer of sauce on the tortilla, these quesadillas are super moist and saucy! BUT if you’re a dipper like me and you love your condiments, then I would suggest serving ranch, mashed avocado/guacamole, more bbq sauce or even try my avocado cilantro lime sauce! Sauce or not sauce though, you just can’t go wrong!
And that’s it babes! Only 10 minutes and 7 ready to go ingredients stand between you and one delicious meal!
Hope you’re all having a great day!
More easy recipes like this:
- Chicken Caprese Quesadillas
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Maple Mustard Glaze Salmon
- Baked Cajun Chicken Wing with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- 4 small tortillas (I used Siete Almond flour tortillas)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (store bought or homemade – see directions above for homemade)
- ⅓ cup bbq sauce +¼ cup for spreading (I used Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ sauce)
- ½ cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Avocado oil spray (or your favorite non-stick cooking oil spray)
- Combine the shredded chicken and ⅓ cup bbq sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place a large pan on the stove and spray it with your avocado oil. Place one tortilla in the bottom of the pan and spread a small amount of bbq sauce over half the tortilla. Then layer on your barbecue chicken, onion, corn, cilantro and a small amount of cheese. Fold the bare side of the tortilla over on top of the cheese layer and gently press down to "cement" the fillings together.
- Turn the burner on to medium heat and cook the quesadilla on one side for 2-3 minutes. Flip it and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is crispy. Repeat with the remaining tortillas!