Thick slices of sourdough bread are coated in a mixture of mashed bananas, almond milk, eggs and cinnamon and are cooked to crispy perfection! It’s the perfect way to have banana bread for breakfast without all the work!
I LIVED off french toast when I was younger! Honestly, I can’t even remember ordering anything else whenever we went out for brunch. It was always french toast and hash browns, french toast sticks or stuffed french toast with all the goods…. And nothings really changed since then. 😉 (At home that is!) But who wants to have the same type of french toast every day, am I right?! That’s why you NEED to try this easy banana bread french toast recipe I made a few days ago because it will blow your mind!
Now I feel like I need to state the obvious here and say that yes there are technically 2 ways of making banana bread french toast.
- Take a loaf of leftover banana bread, cut it into slices and prepare it just like you would any other french toast. (Let’s be honest though, who really has leftover banana bread just lying around…or even has the time to make it!)
- Use a few simple ingredients you already have on hand and make them taste like the exact some thing!
(I’m going with the latter! 😉 )
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Bread slices (I like using sourdough, but any kind of bread will work here)
- Bananas (The riper – the better!)
- Almond milk (I kept mine dairy free by using almond milk, but you can replace this with your favorite milk too)
That’s it loves! How simple is that?!
Now if you want to get really into it like I did, when you can also serve these bad boys with some healthier candied pecans and sauteed bananas too! (Directions for both are below)
How to Make Healthier Candied Pecans
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 1 cup pecans + 1 Tbsp maple syrup + a few sprinkles of salt in a bowl and stir. Lay them out evenly on your baking sheet and bake for 6-7 minutes. Let them cool completely before taking them off the sheet.
How to Make Sauteed Bananas
Heat a pan over medium high heat until it’s hot. While the pan is heating, cut your banana into slices. Once the pan is hot, spray it with non-stick cooking spray and place your bananas in the pan. Cook them for 1 minute or until they’re slightly browned, flip them over and cook them for an additional minute. Serve immediately.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg to the bananas before cooking them in the pan.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sugar/coconut sugar on them before cooking.
- Add a small amount of honey or maple syrup to them before cooking.
It really doesn’t get any easier than this for breakfast loves! So if you’re a banana bread lover (which if you’ve actually made it through this entire post, I’m pretty sure you are! 😉 ), then you NEED to make these asap! I’ll be expecting a message from you in my inbox, telling me how life changing they are!
I hope you’re all having an amazing day!
More Fun Breakfast Recipes:
- Parmesan Egg Clouds (One of my most popular recipes on the blog!)
- Apple Muffins with Peanut Butter Streusel
- Hot Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Chile Relleno Frittata
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Banana Bread French Toast
For the french toast:
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 bread slices (I used sourdough)
- Optional: extra banana slices
For the candied pecans:
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
To make the pecans:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pecans in a bowl and add the maple syrup and salt. (I just did a few sprinkles of salt.) Mix to combine. Pour the pecans onto your prepared baking sheet and spread them out.
- Bake them pecans for 6-7 minutes. Allow them to cool on the sheet before serving or putting away.
To make the french toast:
- Preheat your griddle or pan.
- In bowl, whisk together the mashed banana, egg, almond milk and cinnamon.
- Once the griddle is hot, take your bread slices and one at a time, dip both sides into your batter. Place the bread onto your hot griddle and cook for 3-4 minutes on both sides or until crispy.
- Serve immediately with bananas slices, candied pecans and syrup!