Tender chicken wings seasoned with a homemade Cajun rub and baked to crispy perfection! Serve them with a tangy avocado sauce and you’ll think you died and went to heaven!
I love the Super Bowl fam! Not necessarily for the actual game (I mean I kinda watch), but the commercials and food? Now THAT’S where it’s at! And I’ve come up with a few of my favorite appetizer recipes to show you all this week. Number 1 being these crispy baked Cajun chicken wings!
(If you know me then you know that I love anything spicy, Cajun or Creole and I have a fiance who loves wings, so this was really a no brainer!)
How to Bake Chicken Wings
This is my favorite way to make chicken wings. Not only do they come out moist and tender on the inside, but they also get perfectly golden brown on the outside. Every. Single. Time! Here’s my step by step instructions below:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a large rimmed baking tray with parchment paper. (The residue from the chicken will drip onto the paper instead of the pan making it easier to clean up.) Then take a metal rack place it on the tray. (Having the wings cook on a metal rack allows them to cook on all sides and get extra crispy!)
- Put the chicken wings on a tray and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then place the wings in a large plastic bag and spray them thoroughly with avocado oil spray. Seal the bag and shake it to make sure all the chicken is fully coated.
- If you don’t have avocado oil spray, then you can also use regular avocado oil. You just need enough to coat all the chicken. (I highly recommend use avocado oil for this recipe because it has a higher smoking temperature so it allows the wings to crisp up more. My favorite brand to use is Chosen Foods. )
- Pour 3 Tbsps of your cajun seasoning into the bag, seal it and shake it again.
- Place your seasoned chicken wings on the metal rack. (Make sure they aren’t touching.) Bake them for 30-40 minutes!
- You might need to cook theses in batches.
Note: Cooking time could change depending on your oven and the size of your wings! I would start checking them at the 25 minute mark.
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
I love making my own seasonings! But that being said, you can always use a store bought cajun spice mix too. Here’s my go-to cajun seasoning recipe:
- 2 Tbsps + 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsps garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp ground back pepper
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried oregno
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Just pour all of these ingredients in a jar and shake it up!
Note: This recipe make A TON of seasoning so you’ll definitely have some left over!
What do I Serve with Cajun Chicken Wings?
I feel like every good wing, needs a good sauce and my favorite sauce to serve this these my avocado cilantro lime sauce. It’s creamy and tangy which helps to cut the heat from cajun seasoning. Here are the ingredients to make it:
- 1 avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsps fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
Just put these ingredients in a food processor and blend them until they’re smooth! (The sauce can be made a day in advance and stored in the fridge too!)
I bet you can see now why these are one of my favorite wings to make! They’re just so easy and a total crowd pleaser! I can’t wait to hear how much you enjoy them too!
More Recipes Like This:
- Shrimp and Avocado Ceviche (One of my most popular recipes on the blog!)
- Easy Buffalo Edamame
- Cajun Shrimp Foil Packets
- Easy Mexican Corn Dip
[Made one of my recipes? Make sure to tag my social media @kalefornia_kravings – I love seeing what you create!]
Baked Cajun Chicken Wings with Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce
For the Cajun Wings:
- 2 lbs. chicken wings (about 24 wings)
- 3 Tbsps cajun seasoning (store bought or homemade)*
- Avocado oil spray
For the Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- 1 medium avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (leaves and stems)
- 2 Tbsps fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
To make the Avocado Cilantro Lime Sauce:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor ad blend until smooth. Store the sauce in the fridge until your ready to use it.
To make the Cajun Chicken Wings:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking tray with parchment paper and place metal baking rack on the tray.
- Put the wings on a tray and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then place the wings in a large plastic bag and spray them with your avocado oil spray. (Make sure the wings are completely coated.) Sprinkle the cajun seasoning into the bag, seal it and shake the wings around until they're completely coated in the seasoning.
- Place the wings on your metal rack and make sure they aren't touching. Bake for 30 minutes. (You may want to check them half way through to make sure they aren't burning.)
- Serve immediately with your avocado cilantro lime sauce!